AC+ and Screen protector dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chillip, Apr 7, 2017.

1. chillip macrumors 6502a

I have a 3 month old iPhone 7 and I've never used a screen protector on all of my previous iPhones including 5, 6, 6S and 7. I noticed a very minor scratch on my screen in direct sunlight a few days ago and thought about getting a screen protector. The scratch can't be felt and can't be seen in anything other than direct sun or strong light. I went to Apple and got them to fit a belkin SP which doesn't cover screen properly and causes rainbowinh and is very distracting. I have since removed it and now naked again.

I used a speck presidio grip case which I love. I also have Apple Care Plus. I'm not a massive fan of SPs and usually change my phone every year. Do you guys thinks I should bother with a protector or just suck it up, stop been fussy and enjoy the phone naked as I have Apple care if anything bad happens and change phones every year anyway. Thanks

2. ab06deg macrumors newbie

Mine is almost 6 months old and I have no SP. I love the screen as it is and I'm not trying to keep it flawless for the next owner. I have minor scratches as yours, but that can be seen in very bright light and it doesn't bother me.
    I tried a edge 2 edge screen protector but I had trouble accessing control center (it has been fitted wrong) and the home button was buried. Swipe left is so much better without SP. So no SP for me. I wish I could hold that phone naked so I can use it without case but it's so slippery for me, probably because of my dry hands.
    I think I underestimated the screen anyway, I dropped a regular Zippo in the middle of the screen and there are no marks :)

3. chillip thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can totally relate to that. I need to learn to stop been fussy and OCD by constantly checking the screen in various lightening conditions and just enjoy it. I hate screen protectors.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm the complete opposite. I love the feel of tempered glass protectors. I can't use the screen naked, its too tacky for me.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

When you start to obsess about the scratch, just remember that the phone is a tool. It is not priceless work of art. Life is too short, and there are far more things important than what an iPhone looks like. Use your phone as your normally would and start enjoying life again.

6. chillip thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. fate0311 macrumors 6502

Just for reference, each accidental incident (out of the 2 you get with AC+) comes with a fee of $99.00 (on top of AC+) to replace your iPhone?

i.e: I have AC+, my phone takes a drop and shatters the screen and marks up aluminum body. I go into Apple for a replacement phone. In addition to AC+ I get charged 99.00 for the phone replacement.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They would most likely replace the screen for $29. As long as the body is intact you won't get a replacement. Only if something on the body is going to prevent usage such as a broken camera lens.

9. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Having the phone naked feels better in the hand, and I like the idea of not pampering a device that is ultimately a tool. In this case, some small signs of wear aren't such a big deal.

That being said, having to go through AC or my insurance to have my phone repaired would take time and would be a major pain in the ass. So I have a Anker tempered glass screen protector (IMO far superior to the Belkin one via an Apple Store) and the Apple leather case on it.

10. chillip thread starter macrumors 6502a

What a total contradiction between paragraphs!

11. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It depends on you and how much you will be bothered by scratches on the screen. I know I would be which is why I put a glass screen protector on it on day 1. It isn't edge to edge but it covers the usable area of the screen and there is only a tiny area around the edge of the phone which is not covered. I also use an Apple silicone case and I have Apple care plus. If you aren't bothered by scratches then just go naked and enjoy the screen.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I must be lucky as I have never scratched my iPhone screen and I have owned them all. Do use a thin Sedio Surface case just to give my 7+ some grip, but never used any screen protection.

Much depends on the owner as if they drop their phone a lot, I strongly suggest a case no matter how good you think your phone feels. If you have scratched your screen before, by all means use protection.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Already good advice in here. But I would not obsess over scratches. Take care of the iPhone the best you can and enjoy it for what is. I have used a screen protector of any sort. I fortunately never had any scratches on any of my displays. It's more of a personal preference that screen protectors cheapen the look of a phone to me. But I understand their may intent.

14. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

I think you could get away with screen protectors on the older flatter iPhones like the 4 and 5 etc as they covered the whole screen.

Putting one on the newer phones with the curved edges looks a bit daft as most don't cover the entire screen, especially the tempered glass ones.

15. htc fan macrumors 6502

Get a spigen edge to edge screen protector, it's super easy to install

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have scratched the screen of my old iPhone 5 once. This was after dropping it face down on concrete and rock from chest height and then kicking it accidentally (while face down) when trying to retrieve it.

The scratch was only visible when viewed at a certain angle under intense sunlight.

Considering how that scratch got there I felt very lucky that nothing more happened.

That 5 has since been replaced with another 5 (because of a swollen battery). Already has a slight nick in one spot on the frame because I end up handling it with my keys. But it's a secondary phone now and I'm far less concerned with that type of thing as secondary phones go.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is for sure a crappy day when you drop you phone, face down and while trying to retrieve it, kick by accident.

I have been lucky for sure.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah…like an IDIOT I was trying to check the oil in my car after work. It was dark so I'm fumbling for my phone in my pocket while holding the damn dipstick. I got the phone out and the flash on but in trying to coordinate both hands in doing that I lost my grip on the 5. So, it goes flying, lands face down and I go over to pick it up but instead of that my foot kicks it!

I was NOT happy with myself! I violated my cardinal rule of handling (two hands).

Yet the one time (first and only) I drop my 6+ it lands in such as way that it shatters the screen but leaves the screen protector totally undamaged!

19. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

20. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I've never had any great experiences with screen protectors. They never seem to fit how I want them too, and are always noticeable. Every iPhone I've had since the 5s (new model every year) I've gone completely naked, no screen protector or case, and I love it. Even better now being on the upgrade program so I'm not as worried about it looking super nice for the next owner with the added benefit of Apple care +. My vote is to keep it naked

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I started using tempered glass screen protectors on my Note 3 after having never liking them before (rubber ones). They always break on me. I've wasted too much $ on Zagg and others for my 6+ and 6s+. The best ones were Anker (lasted the longest by far). But now I just use the screen and it's far better. Less reflection, a little bit smoother, and lighter. I don't recommend them. My family has tried them and they always break or start popping up after time. I have a coworker with a 6+ that he puts in the same pocket as his keys and his screen is flawless (no protector). I'm done with glass screen protectors. If only I could get enough courage to go nekkid like @eyoungren ...