AC connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordan eff, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jordan eff macrumors regular

Just wondering can I do any damage by having the AC power connected to my new mbp even when the battery is full, I know in the log run the battery could suffer but will it affect any other part of the macbook

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I've never heard that keeping laptops connected to AC can cause any damage (aside from a lightening strike or something). I keep my laptops plugged in all the time when they're within reach of an outlet.

3. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

i've heard that the cpu power can be affected in the long term but does anyone know if this is true

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Since the power supply converts AC power to DC power--even in desktop computers, I can't imagine how having a laptop plugged into an ac outlet would matter.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

6. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I was just concerned because i've heard about the cpu's loosing power whn they were constantly plugged into AC power

also i bought the 3 years applcare when i bought the mbp and the sale rep said he didn't think the battery was covered if it needed replaced, is that true?

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it is good to unplug your computer every once and a while. as apple says "it's good to keep the juices flowing." they also recommend unplugging it once a month if you dont do it sooner. in my opinion that is too long to wait. i unplug mine once a week if im not traveling.

as for damaging the cpu because it is hooked up to a power source is not true. if that were the case then desktop computers would have real problems.

8. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

Thats a relief then :D

so i can have it plugged in constantly for a few days then unplug it and se it till the battery dies then plug in again

like I said do you know if the battery is covered by the extended applecare

thanks guys :D

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple describes the typical lifespan of the battery on their site. If your battery doesn't live up to that lifespan then its covered.

Call the store up and ask for specific information.

You don't have to run the battery to empty every few days. Just use it to 50% or so. Once a month you should calibrate the battery, search for instructions.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Just do a full discharge every few weeks if you are constantly running on AC and you'll be fine.

The battery is a consumable so won't be covered by the warranty, for example if after a year or so you only get an hour or so on each charge. Unless your battery has some sort of obvious defect (i.e. brand new battery and doesn't hold charge properly).

11. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

12. James Cole macrumors 6502

Yes there shouldn't be a problem... just discharge every few weeks.

13. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular