AC Converter for Magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dziewuliz, Dec 15, 2007.

1. dziewuliz macrumors member

I've got myself a macbook from the US, which I intend to use in Europe next year..
    Now, I don't reall want to pay the extra $80 for European adapter, therefore, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative, that would put my magsafe adapter to use.

I already bought a 40w AC/AC converter, to power-up my Palm T|X, but I guess I shouldn't use it with my macbook... Are there any other reliable/safe methods to do that? Being confused with all the voltage and power differences can't really think of something smart myself..

thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You don't need a power converter - only a plug converter (the power brick can handle anywhere from 110v to 240v).

You should be able to find one at any travel/hardware/electronics store for around $3.

3. dziewuliz thread starter macrumors member

Heh, thanks a lot... I couldn't imagine it was that simple.. :D

4. aminadab macrumors regular

I must say, this built-in "hidden" (to me at least) feature really crystallized what it is that makes me like Apple so much. It's a perfect example of modular functionality. My only complaint is that they don't sell the plugs individually, though a quick search on ebay turned up a few of the specific plugs I needed.

5. bslax28 macrumors member

can anyone else confirm this? i tried to search apple's support site to do so, but found nothing. i'm about to move to italy for about 4 or 5 months and just want to make sure my macbook will be protected from the different voltage with just a converter.

6. ahand macrumors member

it is correct. my sister went to italy and just bought the plug, the magsafe brick worked fine, it's the same one that you get in europe, just a different plug.

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The thing works world-wide, you just need a plug converter.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've used mine on 240V in Iraq and Kuwait, no issues. Just need the plug adapter.