AC+ Express Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Jan 2, 2017.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hi,

my ip7+ fell down and has a slight damage on the front side that reaches a bit over to the side.
    It's not TERRIBLE, but I think I'd like a replacement through my apple care plus.

Do you guys know how it works? If I request an express replacement, get a new one and send my broken one in - will they charge me the fee for the repair and then I just keep the new one? Or do they send me my fixed one back and I have to send the replacement phone back?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will charge you the replacement fee and you just keep the device they mail you.
    And you return your damaged one back.

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I'll also add that in the time between sending you a new one and your old one being returned (i.e. the time period where you have custody of two iPhones), a hold for the full retail value of the iPhone will be placed on your credit card. This may not be an issue for you but worth pointing out.

Additionally, AppleCare+ technically does not cover damage that doesn't impair the functionality of the device. I started a thread on this a while back where I argued that the T&Cs effectively mean there are surprisingly few circumstances where a total device replacement (rather than just the screen, for example) is permitted, even with you using one of your incidents and paying the excess fee.

But anyway, I'm sure you'll get a replacement, though I am subscribing to this thread because I'm curious what Apple support has to say about granting a replacement for cosmetic damage. So please keep us updated! :)

4. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Yes that's why I'm confused too. Because it appears as if an express replacement is totally legitimate to do with AC+, though in general the terms sound like they would only replace the display for example if I brought it to the store..
    But I can't imagine they would bother to send me the repaired phone back and ask their replacement back, wich they would have to disassemble and reassemble anyways afterwards just to be able to send it to someone else.

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Correct - once they approve the replacement you are home safe and dry. The question is whether or not the Apple support person will grant a replacement in the first place, or whether they will try and say it's cosmetic damage and not covered.

6. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

"Oops, I think it just slipped out of my hand again and has now a super ugly crack on the entire display, rendering it useless"...

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Now you are covered. :)

8. tma888 macrumors member

tma888

Well done Sir, well done!
    I tip my hat to you :D:D:D

9. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

I spoke with apple on the phone today. Nobody is checking the status of the device. You can just issue the express replacement, pay 99€ (plus the blocked money on your credit card until they receive your unit) and you get a new phone. done.

So guys, remove your ugly cases from your Jet Black beauty and use your phone to your pleasing and just do an express replacement before reselling it. Boom. ;)