Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i have a 11 inch that has a slight bend around where the SIM card slot sits, don’t ask me how it happened I have no idea, one day it sits on the desk and I noticed it after coming home, it goes from my desk>backpack>work>backpack>my desk

it’s not enough where it won’t sit flush against the case but it does create a indent and a semi air bubble look against the case,

With the ac+ expiring in about a month or so, and 2 accidental left, is this something Apple will replace or “fix” under the accidental policy. Since technically everything is fine and the screen is not cracked, and apparently there is a screen lottery, is that something I should be concerned about.
Also will Apple extend my ac+ coverage due to covid 19. since I prefer to do this in store vs shipping, since this is essential to work.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Only thing you can do is ask Apple.

I can pretty much guarantee they will let you use your accidental damage coverage for it, but they have been known to cover some bends under regular AppleCare without making you pay. Only way you'll know is to ask them.

If you get a dodgy screen, you'll have at least 90 days in which to get it changed. The screen lottery really isn't as bad as it used to be, it's been a while since I've seen an iPhone or iPad with a (genuinely, not MacRumors-OCD) bad screen.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Since your Applecare expires in two months I'd try to get it replaced. Another option would be to extend your Applecare on a month to month plan for awhile to see if it gets worse. I did that with my iPhone X when the original plan I bought expired. It's a good thing I did, because I dropped it 3 months after I extended the plan and needed the whole device replaced.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Since your Applecare expires in two months I'd try to get it replaced. Another option would be to extend your Applecare on a month to month plan for awhile to see if it gets worse. I did that with my iPhone X when the original plan I bought expired. It's a good thing I did, because I dropped it 3 months after I extended the plan and needed the whole device replaced.
i might do that since i have no idea how this bend even happen in the first place.

although it doesn't look like a major bend, has anyone tried bending it back with success?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
i might do that since i have no idea how this bend even happen in the first place.

although it doesn't look like a major bend, has anyone tried bending it back with success?
From bend test on YouTube (I know, not very scientific) the newer iPad pros bend easiest at any opening in the device so sim card tray, charging port or volume buttons etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.