Ac. Guitar recording: Macbook Pro & Apogee One.......

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by lawler, May 23, 2012.

1. lawler, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

lawler macrumors newbie

So I want to record my acoustic guitar and get the best results possible.

I have a Macbook Pro and Apogee One - is it enough to just use Garageband - or is it worth upgrading to Logic etc (what benefits would this have)?

The main reason I want to record is to post videos on YouTube - would it be best to record them seperately or at the same time (I will be using the built in iSight camera on the Macbook Pro).

Thanks for any help guys!

- Shaun

2. mattyuk macrumors 6502

mattyuk

Hi Shaun,

Congrats on the Apogee, those things seem to provide great results - and are definitely designed to work exclusively with Garageband. Of course, Logic is more complex but really this is up to you. I would suggest try Garageband first and see how it is.
    The recording situation, I can definitely attest to it! Ive made a few vids myself through my iPhone 4 and Garageband at same time, and it works a treat.

Have fun mate.

PS - I used that built in Macbook Camera too, Ill warn you - the video playback is horrendous. So I would suggest using anything else, anything that can do 720p if thats what you are going for, the iPhone works great as I said :)

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Best possible? That is a lot of work and is expensive. Apogee is good but the microphone, the room itself and the preamp the maybe other equipment all matters more than the brand of audio interface.

If you record the audio separately then you can be far away from your noisy computer. Maybe even in a good and quiet room with the computer on the other end of a 50 foot mic cable. Then you can record the video using a nicer background, even outdoors if you like.

The trick is to first record the audio. Maybe you have to do many "takes" or even splice several takes together to make one good track..

Then later you set up ujr camera, or several cameras and play along with your good audio track. You have to keep perfect time with yourself. Put those together and yo will have a higher quality video then just a simple web cam video.

Like I said it is a lot of work and most amateur youtube videos just do a straight take on camera using the camera' built-in mic. And it shows

4. lawler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

I may try and record the audio seperately and use the iSight camera and iPhone 4 camera at different angles to do the videos and splice them together.

I could do with getting a quality condenser mic but funds needed!

Shaun