AC MacBooks and AC time capsule...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1rottenapple, Aug 16, 2013.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Ok so I'm split with "settling"/saving money buying a retina MacBook 13 inche 2013 version or waiting for a haswell chip with the assumed AC wireless standard.

If you have both AC capable devices and time capsules, will the backup AC time capsules be faster backing up over wireless?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Theoretically, yes, but it also depends on the speed of the drive inside the router. It shouldn't be that much faster than backing up over N, but I'm not very well versed in router speeds and such. Interested to know myself actually! :rolleyes:

3. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I used to backup over time capsule and it takes forever to finish!

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I have a frankenstein setup here, used to be a standard Airport Extreme with an external drive attached and some weird terminal hacking on my end (googled it! :D) to get it to back up. Now the external is hooked to a AC time capsule. How I managed to fill 3TB is beyond me... I don't usually notice the time though. But I think (havn't thought about it in a long while, which is nice) it takes around 3 hours to backup all the changes I make to my 1TB drive daily. :( :p

5. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Jeeez three hours!!!! Yikes!

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Depends on what I do... I think 3 hours was after I moved around 50gb of files around. Now that I think about it some more, I really don't know. I don't think I've timed it in a loooong while. I do remember it would go pretty fast (15-30min) for some backups, and 3 hours for others. Maybe it doesn't back up while closed (likely) and condenses 10 hours of backups into one.

Dang it man, now you've got me troubleshooting my system again! :D :rolleyes:

7. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Ha well don't think too much about as long as it works!