AC or battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d4m1r, Jan 27, 2013.

1. d4m1r macrumors regular

d4m1r

Hey guys, this is simple question to answer I'm going to guess but being the MBP newbie I am, would appreciate a response from an expert :) Basically, on my previous HP laptop, if I was going to use it for long hours at my desk for example, I would pop out the battery and just plugged it into the wall. That would ensure the battery is not touched, so decreased wear which hopfully results in increased cycles.

Anyway, obviously this is not as easy on my mid 2012 13" because the battery doesn't simple pop out the bottom....So my question is, will it degrade the battery if I use it for long periods of time plugged into AC? Would it be better to just use it on battery power until almost drained and then recharged fully?

Let me know! :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.
    Not exactly.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. d4m1r thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

Thanks for the response and link, I'll get to reading :)

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I think ur worry is moot since the battery can't be removed. If u run it on batt is gonna worn anyways.

I used to remove the batt on my first laptop (virgin!) then quickly decided it wasn't worth the hassle when I tripped the cord and lost my whole hour of work! :(

5. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Just don't make my mistake. I always kept it plugged in. There were times I would go a week without using it. But kept it plugged in. Bad idea. Learned my lesson. If going extended time without using, even 24 hours, unplug it