AC Power and Constant Loud Running Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arnec, Jun 11, 2010.

1. arnec macrumors newbie

I'm having two problems with my MacBookPro, following a repair.

Hardware information:

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1 GB 667 MHz RAM (size speed)
    Mac 10.6.3
    MacBook Pro 15"
    Model ID: MacBookPro2,2
    Type DDR2 SDRAM
    2007?

Previous repaired issue: My MacBookPro was experiencing problems booting up. Although the computer would sound like it was turning on and there were other indications of life, the LCD screen would not turn on. This was not an LCD problem, it was related to a common problem with this model MacBookPro, and it the repair was covered by Apple even though my Apple Care had expired.

New Problems:

Problem 1: My MacBookPro appears to only take power from the battery. If I remove the power and keep the AC power plugged in, it will not start. If I only use the battery it works fine. This is accompanied by an addition problem wherein the computer usually does not receive power when the AC adapter is plugged in, so the computer slowly loses juice and dies. Even when plugged in.

Problem 2: My fan will not turn off, as soon as I turn on the power until I power the Mac down the fan is on full blast. I've tried to removed battery/AC power and hold the power button for several seconds before rebooting... no luck.

Thank you for any help you may provide. I'm assuming these issues are not covered by Apple, so I may be on my own.

2. tchyfeeley macrumors newbie

Fan always on: Mac Mini

I'm having a similar issue with my mac mini. The fan is constantly running, even when the mac is off. I just plug in the power cord and the fan kicks on....sounds like a jet engine.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    -I haven't done anything to the machine at all...it just started.

3. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

4. Reapur macrumors regular

The power supply controller inside the computer is faulty. In a laptop this means replacing the entire logic board, on a machine like yours will cost you about 600 dollars +. Consult a genius at the Apple Store and have them diagnose it. When they repaired your computer last what did they fix/replace? If they put another logic board in then the previous fix could be covered by a limited warranty.

If you are subject to pay for the repair out of pocket i would say cut your losses on such an old machine, take out the hard drive to preserve your data and save up or buy one of the new MBPs (or any computer of your choice). In my opinion shoving money into such an old laptop is a massive waste of cash and would be better spent towards a new computer.