Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
So I have a bunch of videos and movies stored on my time capsule that I used to try and watch on my iPad air with file browser but the thing was so slow. After getting the 6 plus and using that to watch the videos, its it night and day between the two. Sort of s useless thread but it brought a smile to my face and none of my friends at dental school would enjoy this moment with me so i figured Id post it here haha

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Completely agreed! It's so fast I love it :) my 5S could never reach my room in my house and constantly disconnected / had super slow speeds. I would have to get up just for it to find the connection again. With the 6 it stays connected constantly with super fast speeds. We are both big fans I guess haha :)

princered

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
What's the point

So I have a bunch of videos and movies stored on my time capsule that I used to try and watch on my iPad air with file browser but the thing was so slow. After getting the 6 plus and using that to watch the videos, its it night and day between the two. Sort of s useless thread but it brought a smile to my face and none of my friends at dental school would enjoy this moment with me so i figured Id post it here haha

I'm not ignorant to WIFI. But I do need some help in figuring this out. I know that AC gives faster speeds. How can I test that? I've used speed test apps like OOKLA.. But where is the testing point? Is it testing the Download speeds to the phone or to my time capsule. I'm not sure if i need to upgrade. I too have movies on my time capsule which i normally stream to my macbook right back to my apple tv. There have been issues a few times and I'm assuming the AC would help here.. But how do i know if I'm losing speed throughout the house?
Hopefully one of you all will have this answer for me!

Completely agreed! It's so fast I love it :) my 5S could never reach my room in my house and constantly disconnected / had super slow speeds. I would have to get up just for it to find the connection again. With the 6 it stays connected constantly with super fast speeds. We are both big fans I guess haha :)

Do I have to connect to my 5Ghz network to take advantage of this on my 6?

willydimes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Do I have to connect to my 5Ghz network to take advantage of this on my 6?

I don't think it has to do with that but you need a router with 802.ac capabilities and it will utilize that connection for faster speeds. My understanding of ac is that for normal day to day things its not a huge jump but you see a huge difference in downloading larger files.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I upgraded to the latest Apple AirPort Extreme base station that has the AC wifi and to be honest I'm not completely blown away. Download speeds are faster but it's not warp speed like other people are seeing. My ISP is 30-50MBps so that is what really dictates speed.

If you have slow internet, an AC router won't do much for you. It doesn't magically give you faster speed.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
I'm not ignorant to WIFI. But I do need some help in figuring this out. I know that AC gives faster speeds. How can I test that? I've used speed test apps like OOKLA.. But where is the testing point? Is it testing the Download speeds to the phone or to my time capsule. I'm not sure if i need to upgrade. I too have movies on my time capsule which i normally stream to my macbook right back to my apple tv. There have been issues a few times and I'm assuming the AC would help here.. But how do i know if I'm losing speed throughout the house?

Sorry I don't have an actual answer, but to me it seems like you could benefit but its not like 802.n is really holding you back. I think that an internet test should test what its capable of downloading/uploading based on its connection whether that be wifi or ethernet. Maybe try testing wifi with an n device vs an ac device and see the difference but i would make sure they are comparable not like an n laptop vs iPhone 6.-nvm i forgot you don't currently have an AC router

you'll naturally lose speed when more users are on or the farther you are from the router but doing speed tests with different devices and locations should give you an indication if in fact your signal is weak and if an ac router might improve it

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
If you want to test the speed between your computer and your iPhone via your router, download the speedy net app to your phone and if you have a mac, download it to your computer. the phone app is $0.99 and the mac app is $1.99.down. Here is the speed between my 6 Plus and my iMac through my Airport TC. You will need both apps.

picture.php

willydimes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
I upgraded to the latest Apple AirPort Extreme base station that has the AC wifi and to be honest I'm not completely blown away. Download speeds are faster but it's not warp speed like other people are seeing. My ISP is 30-50MBps so that is what really dictates speed.

If you have slow internet, an AC router won't do much for you. It doesn't magically give you faster speed.

Yea i don't see much difference from my aiport express for normal stuff but it certainly is faster for large files which is where i think real difference is. I know that compared to an older time capsule backup, its is much much faster with the ac

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My conspiracy theory is that all the wifi trouble people are having with iOS8 (my iPad air is sucking air on wifi) is part of Apple's fiendish yearly upgrade plot. My iPhone 6 sings with my AEBS AC. Guess who will be getting several hundred more of my dollars this month for an AC ready iPad.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
My conspiracy theory is that all the wifi trouble people are having with iOS8 (my iPad air is sucking air on wifi) is part of Apple's fiendish yearly upgrade plot. My iPhone 6 sings with my AEBS AC.

haha while i doubt that or at least want to doubt it, all my stuff works great on my time capsule but second i get into school with my mb pro it never stays on wifi, always cuts on and off and that happens for like 30 minutes before it works more consistently

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
My conspiracy theory is that all the wifi trouble people are having with iOS8 (my iPad air is sucking air on wifi) is part of Apple's fiendish yearly upgrade plot. My iPhone 6 sings with my AEBS AC. Guess who will be getting several hundred more of my dollars this month for an AC ready iPad.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. What product company doesn't want you to continuously upgrade? E-waste be damned!

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013

Which Dental School?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Agreed. Haven't noticed much difference with the phone but once I got a MBP with AC the uptick in speed to NAS transfers was massive.

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
This is so funny – I was just commenting with my wife on how much faster our phones pick up the Internet around our house. Also the range is way better and more reliable. We are loving it! We have the Apple Airport extreme a/C at our house.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

While I do agree with the idea, when it comes to moving files around in your home network, you can definitely use the faster connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.