AC3 5.1 audio to AAC 128kbs 2 channel Stereo

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by dilema, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dilema macrumors newbie

To sum it up, I need as follows:

A method or technique that would allow me to take a AC3 5.1 audio stream and convert it to AAC 128kbs 2 Channel Stereo. The catch is...I need to be able to do this from the Terminal. No GUI apps can be used.

I figured this would be straight forward but I was very wrong. I have searched up and down and all around for weeks to no avail. Is this an impossible task? This same type of conversion is trivial on other platforms. Be it Windows or Linux.

I know everyone has their way of doing things. I also understand that me asking this question on an open forum will ultimately lead to people suggesting different methods outside of the prerequisites I stated. As much as I appreciate any and all suggestions anyone might have, If it can't be done from the Terminal alone, it's no use to me. However, a GUI app with a binary included that would allow me access it VIA the Terminal and pass off parameters is acceptable. Thanks.

P.S.: I hope I put this thread in the proper place. Sorry if I didn't.
    Matt L.

2. dilema thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

After a few more hours digging (add those to the weeks of hours I've already put in) I've managed to come up with a super easy/quick way to convert AC3 5.1 to AAC 2 Channel 128kbs Stereo using a single command. Mods, feel free to close this thread.

BTW: My ultimate goal was to take an MKV with an H.264 video stream and a AC3 5.1 audio and convert the audio to AAC 2 Channel 128kbs Stereo (for use in AppleTV/Xbox360/PS3/etc ) without touching the video. I wanted to be able to do this as simple and as fast as possible. Goal achieved, it doesn't get any easier than three Terminal commands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.