Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hello all,

I have a huge academic project (Masters level) to do and am looking for Mac software which can help me organise, plan and so on.

I use Pages and master what I need to in it quite well. I am interested in Endnote as I really hate doing referencing.
I have a few questions regarding it though:
- Can it store files (such as PDF references) like a database?
- Is it user-friendly (it seems to be from what I've seen)?
I know there's a demo out but I want to wait a while as it's time-limited and now's a bit early for when I'll test it.

--

I also need some kind of planner as I'm not sure iCal will be sufficient. Basically a "wall chart", but on the Mac, where I can enter specific dates for when things need to be done and which offers a global overview.
I'd also like to be able to save little notes to myself.
Any recommendations?

Thanks, :p

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I did my Masters project in chemistry last year. I used pages and endnote- I have to say it was fantastic. I hated referencing with a passion and endnote made it much, much easier. I had a 60 page thesis and pages made it easy to handle and endnote integrates very well.

I always linked to PDFs files online, I never tried storing them locally I'm afraid. I had endnote 3 but I think the endnote 4 does support importing (but don't hold me to that).

It takes a few days to get the hang of it but it is great. Your university may be able to get it for free/discounted for you so ask them first.

ma11ory

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
I love Evernote

Since I downloaded Evernote as an app on my Mac, I love it! Both Safari and Firefox have plug ins that make it easy to snap a webpage and save it as a note. It saves pdfs, pics, webpages, etc.

I can also sync 'notebooks' to my Evernote app on my iPhone.

I'm taking an online class, and I can't believe how helpful this has been for me.

It's free, so give it a shot.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I did my Masters project in chemistry last year. I used pages and endnote- I have to say it was fantastic. I hated referencing with a passion and endnote made it much, much easier. I had a 60 page thesis and pages made it easy to handle and endnote integrates very well.

I always linked to PDFs files online, I never tried storing them locally I'm afraid. I had endnote 3 but I think the endnote 4 does support importing (but don't hold me to that).

It takes a few days to get the hang of it but it is great. Your university may be able to get it for free/discounted for you so ask them first.

Thanks for the info.
I can't get it for free but discounted. I wonder if any students would sell their copy now that they don't need it ... :eek:

Since I downloaded Evernote as an app on my Mac, I love it! Both Safari and Firefox have plug ins that make it easy to snap a webpage and save it as a note. It saves pdfs, pics, webpages, etc.

I can also sync 'notebooks' to my Evernote app on my iPhone.

I'm taking an online class, and I can't believe how helpful this has been for me.

It's free, so give it a shot.

Hi, I was talking about Endnote, not Evernote. I got confused too at one time.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Thanks for the info.
I can't get it for free but discounted. I wonder if any students would sell their copy now that they don't need it ... :eek:

I got mine through university, so no physical disk or I'd have offered you mine.

I'm sure some students somewhere are itching for cash to pay off their loans!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.