academicsuperstore.com

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jan 8, 2008.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

2. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

nm...

That freaking rocks!!!!!!!!

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I've used this store before and have gotten great deals. They have great service too. Highly recommended!

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

5. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

+1. I'm an educator and always check there first. Have never been disappointed with their products or service.

6. one1 macrumors 65816

whoa... I'm having a kid. Student discount for the next 18 yrs :D

7. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

8. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Yes, you need to buy a Windows Operating system to put onto the MBP, but once installed it will function as any other PC notebook would. It's essentially a PC with an Apple glowing on the back.

So yes, theoretically you could buy CS3 for PC and run it on the MBP.

9. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Yes you will have to purchase a copy of Windows if you use either Boot Camp or Parallels/VMware Fusion. When you're installing stuff to your Windows installation, you will need to use Windows-compatible CDs. If you're buying software such as Adobe CS3, you should consider the Mac version. You will save yourself the trouble of booting to Windows or whatever.

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

but, will that military cd work too? its very important to know. so i just open bootcamp or whatever, put in the cd...and it opens in the windows emulated window?

which version is better? boot camp? parallel? vmware fusion? i heard boot camp was the slowest of the three...parallel hogs memory....and well fusion is decent. but, everyone has their own opinions...

can someone please further elaborate on my concerns and provide some solid recommendations?

11. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Bootcamp - you start this up when you turn on the computer. It will load the windows os (once installed). It will seem as though you are on a windows computers. Bootcamp is the best method as far as performance goes. The only setback is that you have to shutdown your computer to load up windows.

The next two are different then bootcamp. To use them you will turn on your computer and have mac os x load up like normal. Once it is up and running you click your VMware or parallels app. They will load up windows in a window while mac os x is still running. You can minimize the (windows xp) window and have your normal apple desktop showing.
    The minor problem with this method is the performance. Graphic performance takes a hit. If you are just running some basic programs though in windows xp or whatever you won't even notice and it will still perform good with most other intensive programs.

VMware - I heard its better than parallels with vista.
    Parallels is better for xp.

Once you have windows installed, it will read and install from any windows cd as long as your windows os is up an running.
    Hopefully someone else will explain a little more.

12. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

thanks. the more comments and feedback the greater please!!!

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I just installed windows xp home on my mbp to run guitar hero 3 and it works perfect. But gawd what an ugly os:rolleyes:

14. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

...it mac osx runs guitar hero 3 too....why did you install it for xp?!!?? :confused:

15. McGiord, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

When you buy your Windows License if it's XP be sure it is at least Service Pack 2 (SP2), because Boot Camp only works with this or newer versions of XP.
    I think with Parallels and VMware you can run previous versions because it's a software emulation (virtual machine).

I do prefer to go with boot camp because you can run faster, and also it allows you to run that windows' partition in a window or fullscreen on MacOSX via parallels or vmware.
    ________
    Yamaha YZF750 history

16. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

so you can run run bootcamp...but, when you are on the mac osx...you can pull up windows xp that was installed on bootcamp through parallels or vmware?

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

unfortunately, it runs a lot better on xp than osx:eek:

18. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

no.

Bootcamp is separate from the other two programs. Bootcamp is a way of only booting up the computer in Windows. Vmware (which I personally prefer over parallels) requires you to install a copy of windows for it to emulate separately in it's on partition and and such. You can use the same copy (as far as I know... I can't see why this would be illegal on the same comp) but i believe (correct me if i'm wrong) you have to install it each time for those programs.

Depending on what you are doing with windows, I'd use Vmware or Parallels simply because rebooting the computer is annoying if you need to go back to OSX or something, and it's nice to be able to just click an app button and have windows open immediately as opposed to allthe partition restart hassle. Not to mention I find it rather easy to access files from the windows partition for VMware from OSX and vice versa... which is nice if you save something into windows and want it in OSX for something.

ANyway. Once you start up VMware or whatever it will prompt you to install an operating system (in this case Windows) and it's very simple and step by step. Never had to do it for bootcamp but I assume it's the same. If your program isn't really intensive though i'd just go with vmware or parallels and save the hassle of rebooting all the time.

Bottom line though... bootcamp is not related to vmware or parallels.

19. Hydramus macrumors member

As a matter of fact, VMware and Parallels do let you run the Windows installation that is installed via bootcamp. At least thats what i do. I've installed XP via bootcamp so i can boot into windows if i want, but if i'm feeling lazy or only need it for a small task i just fire up VMware to access that same installation.

20. McGiord, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Yes you can use your bootcamp partition with parallels or vmware from OSX.
    Bootcamp isn't mandatory to run paralles or vmware, but you can use them to run a virtual machine from the bootcamp partition.
    I think it gives you more flexibility.
    ________
    BMW M Roadster history