Accelero S1 Rev 2 for 8800GT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GregPacker, Feb 11, 2008.

1. GregPacker macrumors member

GregPacker

Is anyone else planning to put an Accelero S1 Rev 2 passive cooler on their 8800GT? Will it fit ok in a new mac pro with the 8800GT in the bottom slot? Will it work acceptably with the standard pci zone airflow, or would it be better with something like the "Turbo Module" fans on top?
    I'd like to keep things silent if possible. Graphics should be seen and not heard :)

2. TheNightRipper macrumors newbie

I'm planning on it, as it is such a cheap, effective, and quiet solution. I found some pictures someone put up of it installed on a X1900 in an old Mac Pro, and I would imagine it ought to fit just fine on the 8800GT. Here's the link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=319267

I am curious if it would be possible to use the Turbo module fans, wondering where exactly they would plug in. On the card? Or some other unused power port?

3. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

yep, that was me. and to add a little update, it still works great!

one note that still applies from my original thread...

"if I am going to boot in to Windoze to play a game, all I need to do is choose a setting I named 'Gaming' in the smcFanControl menu and reboot in to windows. It retains the settings until you power off the computer. So as long as you reboot in to windows... the fan speed sticks."

i actually had a game crash on me when i didn't bump up the fans before rebooting in to windows... a dedicated silent fan at low rpms would probably do the trick too... that is if you are not in need of all your pcie slots