Accelero Twin Turbo: A Word of Caution

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by doccelo, Oct 24, 2009.

1. doccelo macrumors member

Here's a word of caution to those of you running the Accelero Twin Turbo aftermarket cooler on your cards...

My card (HIS 4890) is powered via the 6 pin 6 pin connector directly to the motherboard (instead of the molex in the drive bays). When I attach the Accelero's power to the card, the fans don't spin. I had to attach directly to molex connector in drive bay to get the fans to work.

I know Cindori connected his Accelero to his Sapphire 4890 card and it works fine, but I believe he has his card connected directly to molex in the drive bay. I'm suspecting the motherboard isn't supplying as much power as connecting it directly to the power supply via molex, and so can't drive both the card and an Accelero aftermarket cooler.

I would like to have the Accelero connected directly to the card if I could, so that I have control over the fan speed, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Right now I have it connected via the 12V connector that came supplied with the cooler. If anyone else has had any similar problems, please report back. Hardmac reports the same issue of lacking power via the card. The difference being that they reported the fans spin slowly, my fans didn't spin at all (except for about 3 seconds, then stopped).

By the way, this thing cools down my card tremendously! With the stock cooler I was idling at around 58C, and with Accelero: 42C via 7V and 39C via 12V (these numbers are with the side of the MacPro off). I'm using the 12V right now so the card stays cool under heavy gaming.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

One difference between the PCIe power and the ODD bay power is the 5V supply. PCIe power has 12V only. ODD bay power with molex or SATA will also carry the 5 V.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Hiya

I have my accelero powered by the card.

At first I thought the power was not enough; booting from cold and such would result in fans not spinning at all, or the fans would jerk 5cm back and forward as if there was not enough power to run them. That seemed to be the case!

But when running for a while, the fans started to run. Sometimes only one of them. But if I run a game, both of them spin up.

It seems as if running them at lower speeds does not supply enough power, but when the card heats up a bit and higher speeds (lets say about 20%) kick in, it runs fine. That speed is not noisy at all, and the card does not get that hot. Im getting ~50-60 idle and ~70 load. I could edit my ROM to provide faster speeds from the beginning, so the fans wont go 0%-0%-0%-20%, but I just cba, the card is running perfectly operational temperatures with no noise.

now, a word of caution would rather be to not connect the accelero power to both molex and card. My motherboard fried. 500$.

4. doccelo thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I'll have to try to connect it back to the card tonight and see if I get the same results. I was afraid of frying my GPU and so didn't risk it when I saw both fans sitting there motionless.

5. sadd3j macrumors newbie

Hey Doccelo,

Any news on this? I'm looking at aftermarket coolers for my 4890 in hopes of getting back to the quietness of the 2600XT..

6. Whiteyez macrumors regular

I also powered the accelero by the card. Before i flashed there was not enough power to spin the fans. After i flashed it was ok, no problem at all.

7. doccelo thread starter macrumors member

It's running fine being powered by the molex. I haven't tried going back to using the card for power, but I'll try it soon. Others seem to have had success doing this. I'll post back with results later on when I get a chance to try it. Otherwise, the card runs beautifully and stays cool (around 40 C idle using the 12V molex plug that comes with the card). By the way, mine is also flashed.