accelerometer issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jconway, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jconway macrumors newbie

Anyone else having an issues with their accelerometer? My phone won't go into landscape mode in Safari if it has been it sleep mode for more than about 30 seconds and requires a reset to fix it. The camera also takes pictures upside down.

I saw a thread about this a while ago but it hasn't had any recent posts so I was just wondering how many other people are having this issue and if there is a fix or possible update that will fix this. Just hoping I won't have to go and take it to the Apple store.

2. jconway thread starter macrumors newbie

3. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

No problems here, tilt the phone a bit away from you when you rotate, and you'll find better results.

4. steveapp macrumors member

Is there a way to disable the accellerometer ? I find sometimes I would rather be able to rotate the phone and not have the screen flip, for example when im being a slob on the sofa watching tv :) and lying down, its really irritating then - though if i had a choice between it working or not i would rather it did rotate, sometimes the option would be nice :)

5. jconway thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I've tried that. It's like the acclerometer doesn't wake up with the phone if it's unplugged and in sleep mode for more that about 30 seconds. I've read about other people have this issue on Apple board too. Most people there have taken their phones to the genious bar and gotten replacements but I really don't want to do that.

6. jsaholdings macrumors newbie

Bought a white 3G yesterday and having the same issue. I did a restore and everything went back to normal until I let it manually go to sleep mode. When I woke it back up, the problem came back.

I have a 1:45pm appt. with the Apple Store today. The website shows they have no stock today so I'm not sure how they're going to handle it seeing as though it a phone. Who can live without their phone :p Hopefully, they set stock aside for repairs/exchanges <crossing fingers>. I'll update this thread with the status when I get back.

Your only other option is to wait for the 2.0.1 firmware to see if it corrects the problem but seeing as though the problem seems isolated, I doubt it will.

Better get to the Genius Bar :rolleyes:

7. jconway thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying hard to avoid going to the Genius Bar because I don't want to get a new phone and have to set it all up again if a firmware update can fix it. I'll wait until the 2.0.1 update and go to the Genius Bar if that doesn't fix it methinks.

8. jsaholdings macrumors newbie

I understand what your saying but with iTunes, I don't think it can get much easier as far as restoring your phone's data/settings.

Good luck and I hope you get your accelerometer issue resolved!

-Jay

9. jconway thread starter macrumors newbie

wait, you mean I could back up settings, apps, contacts , and stuff like that and have the new phone just like the old one?

10. jsaholdings macrumors newbie

You sure can! So I took my unit into the Genuis Bar here in Columbus, OH. First visit to the Genius Bar by the way. They were phenomenal. He turned it on, turned the phone around and around and said "Whoah"..."that's messed up":p "Let me get you a replacement right now". I was in and out in 10 minutes. They even replaced my screen protectors since the one I had on the broken phone didn't adhere very well to the new phone.

Anyway, took it home, plugged it into iTunes, told it to restore from latest backup and in 10 minutes, I had all my data back on it! ;-)

Take it in and get it replaced. The guy at the Genius Bar speculated that it's a hardware issue and not a software glitch.

Hope this helps!
    -Jay

11. jconway thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I think I will take a trip to the genious bar after all. I cantnsee this being a software issue though, but then again I dot work at the Genius Bar. LOL

12. maokh macrumors 6502

my iphone is taking upside-down pictures ... and playing something like labyrinth puts the ball into "crazy go nuts" mode.

It appears that one of the axis on the MEMS accelerometer is reporting an absolute maximum value.