Accelerometer stays steady?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Vidd, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Should apps see the iPod as not moving at all when it's kept steady or should there be slight imperfections?
    Things like iPint, CroMag Rally and MeetBubble all detect movement.
    CroMag Rally for instance is slightly shaky when it's kept upright. It shakes quit a lot when put down flat on a table.

What has anyone else experienced?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The reason it 'shakes' when it's flat on a table is because that is not how the accelerometer is design; it's design to be held perpendicular to the ground (so one edge closer to the ground to the other, as it uses gravity to work). If it's parallel to the ground, there is nothing to tell the iPod what position it's in, therefore resulting in erratic movement in screen orientation.

3. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Thanks but one of my questions was that if it is perpendicular should it be perfectly steady?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It should, yes. When perpendicular the iPod is supposed to respond only to movements that the user makes.

5. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Hm, that's what I was worried about.

In CroMag Rally it acts as if I'm tilting it right to left slightly but fairly quickly.

In MeetBubbles, it constantly goes up and down 0.1 degrees which seems very little but is obviously enough to cause the "shakycam" effect.

EDIT: Here's a video.