Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccer99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Another victim here of the E2 PCI-e card not wanting to mount or be seen by anything after a random crash (at Fast User Switching window while logged in).

Since I know many people here have used this card in the past, I'm wondering if placing the current SSD blades into a new card. Here I can buy just a new card with no blades:
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDPHW2ES2UP/

Please don't tell me the drive is dead or data is gone because I know it's just the shoddy card being stubborn.

Below (in System Profiler/System Information) you can see proof that the drive and/or blades are still alive.

bnak9y.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you are convinced that the card has failed, but not the blades, then - sure, try the swap.
Your screen shot really doesn't prove that the blades are good, only that the card is recognized as an AHCI controller, which should be correct.
But, the storage blades should also show up on that same System Profiler screen, as they are accessed through the PCI card.
My thoughts are that the card (the controller) might have zapped the blades, and likely both of them, and swapping to a new card may not get your data.
But, you will have to try that to find out for sure.

Did OWC offer any answers when you contacted them?
What did they tell you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.