"Accent Menu" in Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hastings101, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Is there any sort of accent menu for quickly writing ç, ê, é etc.? The hold down menu on OS X is so helpful when typing in French, but I can't seem to find anything similar (app or otherwise) to do the same on Windows. Any solution? alt + (whatever) is just terrible lol

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Yeah but not as easy as OSX. Apart from the alt and number combinations, the other way is to install a language's keyboard then use the software keyboard from the Taskbar to click on the accented characters.

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

4. Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hastings101

For anyone else that comes across this thread, there's an awesome free tool called WinCompose that lets you select a key that is used as a "compose" key. You can then follow an easy pattern - like composekey + ' + letter for á. A list is available on Wikipedia. Good fix for the terrible character selection on Windows, though not as nice as OS X.

5. Gogol macrumors member

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Since I regularly type in two languages and use a PC at work (school), I simply switch my keyboard to International. That way if you want to type a ç, you just type ' followed by the c. é is ' followed by e. Very simple.