Acceptable level of backlight bleeding on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CleverUsername, Dec 22, 2008.

1. CleverUsername macrumors member

Well, I'm trying again. I ordered a 15" 2.8 GHz MBP, and things are going a lot better than they did last summer: no warps, dents, scratches, or dead pixels (or crooked F-keys). The new unibody design and trackpad are incredible :D

However, I am getting little annoyed by the backlight bleed. I had noticed it first thing on black when I was running pixel check, the expected vertical "spotlight" effect coming up from the bottom, as well as a couple columns just right of the center that reach a little over halfway up the screen (makes it look kind of like a slightly wavy piece of paper or black curtain), but thought it was faint enough that it wouldn't bother me... until I started using my MBP a lot, mostly in my dark room. There is clear backlight bleeding, present on all brightness levels but only really bothersome on the top 4-5 levels on dark colors (even during movies :().

I talked to Steven (the representative who helped us order) about this, asking if this is considered a defect or if anything can be done, and sent him some pics I took of it, then he called me back saying that the technician he forwarded them to said that was perfectly normal. However, when I questioned further about the fact that it's uneven on the different halves he acted like I was just talking about the difference from top to bottom, and I had to remind him that I'm more concerned about the inconsistencies from left to right. The pictures probably just weren't good enough for them to see what I was referring to :confused:

Anyway, he said the next step if I want to pursue this is to get it into the hands of an Apple technician to check it over (I'm guessing this is just because of all my previous problems getting a defect-free unit?). Which means either driving 3 hours each way to get to the closest Apple store, or mailing the unit in to be checked over. Since the mailing it in routine is what I tried last time I had a display problem with a MBP I was trying to purchase, only to have them deny there was any problem at all, I'm wary of that option and would rather do it in person if I do it at all. It'll suck to make the trip, but at least I'll know the answer within a day instead of a couple weeks, and I can talk directly to the person looking at it and show them the area of concern.

So I took some better pictures, using a tripod to avoid motion blur, and I really need help deciding if this is acceptable and I should just deal with it, or make the trip. Actually, these shots make it look a tiny bit better than it is in real life, but should give you an idea of what I'm seeing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, not really extreme, just noticeable when I'm editing dark pictures and watching movies, which is why I'm having trouble deciding if it's worth bothering. Here's some shots from a show I was watching, to demonstrate the bleed-through during dark scenes and transitions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, I'd really appreciate hearing about any experiences people have had getting something done about their backlight bleeding.... Did the technicians see the problem or act like you were imagining things? Were they willing to go into a dark corner or room to look? (Mine shows up just barely in light, but is much worse in dim or dark rooms.) Did you just get display replacements, or a complete exchange? Was the new one any better? I suppose it's kind of unlikely that someone here has direct experience with the Apple store in Des Moines, Iowa, they can tell me about?

When I talked to him about this a couple weeks ago, Steven said that I have a full month from the date I received it to do something if I want to, which leaves me with just about 5 days left to get up to Des Moines if I'm going. Please let me know what you think!

2. ewoo macrumors newbie

You're being too picky.

Get a refund. Buy a 50" Pioneer plasma TV.

3. CleverUsername thread starter macrumors member

Don't you think that would limit my portability just a little? :rolleyes:

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

no its called a backpack duh :D

5. smokedog macrumors regular

That's not acceptable lightbleed. I seem cheaper laptops without any lightbleed problems.

I wouldn't consider myself picky but some people seem to accept faults because its an Apple.

6. Horst Guest

Get an iPod or iPhone, that's where the quality components are used at Apple's ;).

Looking bad, I'd return it for sure.

7. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

i honestly cant see anything wrong with your display!
    maybe i'm blind??????

8. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

9. the2j macrumors member

the2j

I recently had a similar issue with my MBP.
    I took mine back to the apple store that I bought it from and they replaced it without any questions. However, the one the replaced it with had a faulty logic board.

Proceed with caution ... or just get a 24 inch LED ;)

10. StvRndy macrumors member

It does look quite bad to me. Does the new macbook pro all have this screen issue?

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Whoa~ My 2.53ghz mbp's backlighting looks perfect compared to that! :eek:

I'd get it exchanged.

12. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Mine looks similar. I really never notice it though. I don't see it as a problem but I can see how somebody else would.

13. CleverUsername thread starter macrumors member

Darn. I was actually hoping everyone would try to convince me that this was normal :( I'm really dreading starting the whole exchange/replace cycle again! Really, neither of my options is good. It's either an all day trip in the middle of winter (in Iowa :eek:) or go without any computer at all for a week or two and hope they see the problem too :(:(:(

See, this is exactly what I'm worried about after my last attempt(s) to buy a MBP a few months ago. I'm thinking I'll see if I can just trade out the display on this one. So far, I haven't had any other problems (knock on wood!) I was going to make the trek to buy in-store this time, but once again, they didn't carry the model I wanted.

I'm not sure. This is the only one of the new ones I've seen in person, but I have seen this problem mentioned in a few other threads. Run a search for "backlight bleed" or "backlight bleeding" and some of them should pop up.

I have absolutely no experience with laptops, beyond the amount of MBPs I have had and exchanged over the last half a year or so. When I first told Steven the representative about this, he said it just sounded like a normal laptop screen to him, which is another reason I tried to live with it. My mom's new blackbook (which was perfect on the first try :rolleyes:) has no such light bleed, completely even and consistent colors... is it just the more expensive Macs with problems like this :confused:

Nice to know there are some good ones out there!

Silly me. Problem solved ;)

IDK, I think it's just one of those things that bug some people and some people never notice. Do you by chance work in Apple's Quality Control department? ;)

eh :p I keep watching, hoping they'll get better again. Hasn't happened yet, but killing off a few people last week was a good start :D

Thanks for all the responses, at least it gives me some more info before I proceed. I just emailed Steven saying that I do think this is unacceptable, and checking to see if there are any other possible courses of action. Nothing looks feasible right now, I'm still kind of tempted to try and just live with it :(

14. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Why do people think that emailing Steve Jobs is the first step in resolving an issue? I do not think that backlighting is acceptable and odds are, a phone call the Applecare would result in a replacement if the machine was recently purchased. If it is older than two weeks it may need to be sent in for a repair attempt. Apple would simply send you a box and they would determine an appropriate resolution.

15. CleverUsername thread starter macrumors member

:confused:

I didn't email Steve Jobs? Steven is the name of the Apple representative who is handling my order this time around. I didn't think it was polite to post his last name online, but I can assure you that it is not Jobs.

16. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Okay so on second thought my backlighting isn't like yours. I thought it was, but put up a black wallpaper and I don't notice it at all.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it though. People are so picky and find problems like crooked keys that are off by half a millimeter and try to return their computers. Your issue is a real issue, but it might not be for you. If you aren't doing anything where the backlight bleed really gets in the way then it probably isn't worth the hassle of getting a new laptop or sending yours out for a new screen.

Don't feel like you have to decide what to do with your computer based on what other people do or would do in the situation. If you need the screen perfect, then you know how to go about getting a new one. If you don't need it perfect, and for most applications it still looks really good then just don't worry about it.

17. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

That lcd is totally unacceptable. Immediate refund/replacement. I don't know why :apple: is incapable of selling notebooks with decent lcd's. It seems that if you get a good one, consider yourself lucky. I've been through four different lcd's on my MBP while under warranty. Finally the last one has been ok...although recently some bright pencil tip size spots have been showing up on the left side...not worth worrying about anymore at this point.:mad:

I love apple but they are the suck when it comes to quality control.

18. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

allow me to restate my opinion because my previous post is kind of confusing.

I would not return it if everything else is perfectly fine. I think the camera exposure makes it looks worse in the pictures also.

19. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

I must have gotten lucky with mine.. Not a single bad pixel. I have a very very minimal amount of bleeding on the sides, and a bit of the mountain pattern, but I doubt we'll ever see a perfectly clear panel..

If you aren't happy, I'd say give the panel lottery a shot, but remember, there are plenty worse things to happen to a panel then a bit of bleeding on a solid black background, I personally wouldn't take a risk.

Also, I did notice there tends to be a bit more bleeding when the machine is hot..

20. ewoo macrumors newbie

I totally agree with masse. The dark ambient lighting and camera exposure does make it more pronounced. In fact, if I took a picture of mine too it would look pretty close to that...

I'm extremely picky about products in general--and about video quality (I'm a videophile). I know these laptop are premium products but in this case, I'd let it go. In 95% of my daily work, I don't notice it--unless I get anal, put up a black background and focus on it.

Apple's quality control, LCD manufacturing in general and Apple's customer service are not good enough to go thru the hassle of getting one that's near perfect. What a waste of time.

I say, get over it (like I did) and just enjoy the product. It's meant to be used.

21. stevemiller macrumors 65832

hey, i'm in the same boat as the original poster. i've attached 2 images, one with the lights off and one with lights on to show that the backlight bleeding shows up pretty much all the time for me.

i use the machine at my job (doing graphics/video work) and while i realize a laptop screen has its limitations, it can get pretty distracting having screen edge glow thats apparent even in well lit situations.

i've had the machine for 2 months now though... so i'm almost scared to see if apple will do anything for me. however lately the fans have started buzzing like an electric razor intermittently, so i may have a "collection" of issues to bring forth. :p

am i being too picky?

Attached Files:

22. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Mine looks pretty much just like the op's. Mine MIGHT be slightly better as I cant see it as clearly during dark movie scenes.. but when the screen is one solid dark color, the bleed looks really bad. Honestly, after getting a whole bunch of messed up mbp's, I decided to just live with the light bleed. Returning it could just land you something worse. No, I don't think this level of bleed is acceptable, but, I've pretty much learned, that if you want an mbp, it's going to be messed up in some way. I think that apple buys out defective screens at a discount from the companies that supply them with screens and then charge us top dollar for their laptops. I know, probably not the case, but honestly, even all the ones I saw in the store had backlight bleeding that was visible even on a white screen.

23. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

thats really bad

24. PDE macrumors 68020

They all have more or less backlight bleed and they're all inferior displays compared to any desktop display, even if they might be *just* acceptable for basic portable use. I've settled on my samsung rather than spending more of my time getting it swapped out by apple for another one that may be worse. After going through many MBPs (all previous generation) they all have either uneven illumination, backlight bleed, yellowing or a combination of the three. Not impressed given the price point.

25. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

Mine looks exactly the same. It's not a defect, it's just how some of the screens are. It's sort of an artificial problem, at least for me, as I never sit around looking at a solid black screen. I am not going to send the laptop back though. I already had to send this unibody in for light-coloured blotches in the centre. This is really an issue that has to do with anal retentiveness, and I am trying to combat that personal problem when it comes to the Apple products I own.