Acceptable level of screen uniformity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Gates, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm wondering how uniform the backlighting is on everyone's mid-2010 MBPs. The screen on mine is sort of a gradient, with the screen becoming progressively brighter towards the left side. There are also what appear to be columns where the screen is slightly darker than the surrounding area. This makes it annoying to read in low-light conditions because the left side of the screen will be at a comfortable level when the right side is slightly too dim, or the other extreme. I absolutely cannot stand dead/hot pixels though which makes me hesitant to have the screen replaced. I just bought the notebook a week ago but I don't want it replaced, as I installed a Moshi PalmGuard before I noticed the screen issues. I also installed an InvisibleShield but I can have that replaced at no cost.

2. NicktheNorse macrumors member

My panel is exactly the same. No dead pixels but reasonably uneven backlighting. Most people probably wouldn't notice but it annoys me when it distracts me from what is on screen!

3. mdewberry macrumors regular

My panel on my 17" i5 is the same.. No dead pixels, but when the screen is all white I can detect a gray shadow column that is barely visible (middle left of the screen) but I do see it at times when I go from one web page to another and the screen turns all white in the transition... I always thought LED was supposed to backlight the whole screen evenly...

I was going to bring it to the Apple store tomorrow for them to look at it to make sure it is not an issue that would warrant a replacement/repair..

Also I am noticing more and more the viewing angles are not great on the screen, with there always being some yellow on the screen depending on where you angle your head... Kind of a bummer but I think that is how it is going to be with a 17" laptop screen... Especially noticeable in the bottom half of the screen...

4. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm going to the Apple Store in a few minutes so I'll let you guys know what I find out.

5. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I'm starting to think I'm the only one who got a perfect '10 Macbook pro.
    No freezes, no yellow screen, uniform backlight, no dead pixels, no strange noises, nada.

Then again, about the screen, I have the Samsung 9CA4, I don´t know if that makes a difference.

6. cyclical macrumors regular

My screen is a gradient also: "normal" at the top, getting progressively lighter towards the bottom.

7. mdewberry macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks.. Look forward to your feedback...

8. burp macrumors newbie

here you have some mesuarements on the low-res screen, it's
    in german
    but scroll down to the display section.

9. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I spoke with a genius at the genius bar and told him that I did not want to exchange or repair the machine if my screen was within tolerances. He told me that the screen should be uniform which implied that mine was not within spec. He offered me the choice to either repair the machine or exchange it; I chose to repair it so I wouldn't be out the $25 for a Moshi PalmGuard + S&H. I also told him that if the genius thought the replacement screen was worse than the original I did NOT want the machine back, and would instead opt for an exchange. It should be repaired this week. I will keep you apprised. My screen was a 9CBB for anyone interested.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Can some one tell me how to identify your screen build number?

11. apple.gr macrumors regular

System Preferences > Displays > Color > Color LCD > Open Profile > Line 17 (under "Model")

Mine is 9CB6 and I have no problem.

12. vant macrumors 65816

13. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Well I got my MBP back from the Apple store today. I was very meticulous in inspecting it when I picked it up and did not notice any pixel deformities. The backlighting is MUCH more even now than it was with my previous display, and is definitely acceptable. We'll see if I notice anything wrong with it over the next couple of days, but right now I'm a very satisfied customer.

14. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

Mine's a 9CBB too, and the uniformity is a bit off. It annoyed me to start with, but now i accept it just fine. :)

15. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

What model is the replacement?

16. mdewberry macrumors regular

I took mine to the Apple Store yesterday as well, and showed the Genius the subtle gray shadow down the middle left of my screen (can see on all white/all gray screen)... He stated that this could go away on its own (hmm..), but gave me the option of a new 17"... I went with a new one, came home and fired it up.. And noticed on this screen the white uniformity was fine (with the typical discoloration from viewing angles), but there is loose liquid under the screen... When you tap the back of the screen you can see fluid jiggle around in one area of the screen... Also the backlight bleed on a black screen is terrible with this machine!! Much worse than my first one, especially at the bottom..

I will say this LCD panel was slightly brighter than my last one...

Well, here we go... Off today for another swap..

17. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

9CBB.