Acceptable RAM configuration: 2x2x4?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Jul 23, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Is this an acceptable RAM configuration for the iMac? Or should it be 2x2x2x2?

Attached Files:

2. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

If you're not experiencing performance issue with your iMac, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

My iMac (2011, base 21") has been randomly freezing lately, noticeably after upgrading to Lion. I did a hardware test (with the App CD, holding down the D button) and it found no issues.

I'm not sure what it could be...

4. TA031 macrumors newbie

5. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

According to Apple:

"i5 and i7 Quad Core iMac computers come with both top memory slots populated. These computers will not start up if only a single DIMM is installed in any bottom slot; these computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any top slot. Core Duo iMac computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any slot, top or bottom. ("Top" and "bottom" slots refer to the orientation of the slots in the pictures below. "Top" refers to the slots closest to the display; "bottom" refers to the slots closest to the stand)."

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1423

It appears your iMac will be fine if you switch them around with the top slots only having one RAM stick. It's unclear if additionally having both bottom slots populated might present problems. Find out!