access all files on a computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eljeferockss, Dec 5, 2007.

1. eljeferockss macrumors newbie

Hey everybody, I just started using a mac, and I need to access all the files on the computer. Is there a way to unlock all of the users files and folders without having to log into them separately? Ideally I'd like to unlock them all and then do a spotlight search to find the files I need. Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is doable, but it requires changing permissions. Unfortunately, there are some gotchas with doing this:
    1. For some reason, the GUI for changing permissions is broken in Tiger, and you have to do it from the Terminal.
    2. You would be well-advised to save the old permissions before you change them, and change them back when done.
    3. Do NOT do this by changing the owner or group - instead, change the permissions for other to read, write, and execute for folders, and read and write for files.
    4. If you try to log in as another user after changing the permissions so you can access their files but do it the wrong way, you may render the other user unable to do anything while logged in.

3. eljeferockss thread starter macrumors newbie

So how would I go about using the terminal to change all the permissions of the folders? This is my first few days on a mac, but I have linux terminal experience, so i am assuming it is close. Would i just use sudo or need to log into an admin account and do this?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Same was as way other *NIX
    Provided your current user is in the sudoers file. Or you're logged in as an admin.

5. eljeferockss thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using the command:

sudo -i
    chmod -R 4777 /file

but it won't let me move the files from the computer onto my server, it says i still don't have the permissions. That command should have changed the folder and all files and folders' under it permissions, right? and when I want to change it back, does anybody know what the original user privileges are?

thanks again.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. eljeferockss thread starter macrumors newbie

uh, i don't really know, macs are new to me, but the software says its using 10.4.11. isn't it all bsd based anyways?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it makes a difference since <= 10.4.x uses POSIX only, but 10.5.x uses ACLs and POSIX. What you described sounds like ACL problems. But you are using Tiger, so..

Just create a test user to see what the original permissions are on a user's hierarchy.

Why not just enable root and login as root to do all this?

Save yourself the trouble of fiddling with permissions.

If not, IMO you should be doing this with group permissions where all users and their directory hierarchies are part of said group and group has recursive rwX.