Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salzrat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Hi,

up to ios 13, when I swiped left to the widget screen in the lock screen, I could tap on a widget (e.g., the weather) and this got me directly to the app (after unlocking the phone with touch id).

Now with ios 14, tapping on the widget does nothing, even when I unlock the phone with touch id. However, when I swipe to the widget screen from my home screen, this does work.

Bug in ios 14 or can I enable this somehow?

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I don't know about TouchId, as I don't have it, but with FaceId it seems to work fine. My widget screen is set not to be accessible with an unlocked phone, so I can't open it before unlocking. But as soon as it has seen my face and the little padlock icon is unlocked, I can swipe right and use the widgets immediately. I have two widgets, and they both react normally even though I got there directly from the lock screen.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi,

up to ios 13, when I swiped left to the widget screen in the lock screen, I could tap on a widget (e.g., the weather) and this got me directly to the app (after unlocking the phone with touch id).

Now with ios 14, tapping on the widget does nothing, even when I unlock the phone with touch id. However, when I swipe to the widget screen from my home screen, this does work.

Bug in ios 14 or can I enable this somehow?
It seems to be working for me -- if I tap on a new widget (like the Calendar or Weather one) I get a prompt to enter my passcode or use Touch ID after which I'm taken directly to the app. More or less the same happens if I try that with an old widget (one that hasn't been updated for iOS 14).

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I've just tried with my daughter's phone, which has TouchId. If I just touch the home button without pressing it, so the phone unlocks but stays in the lock screen, then swipe right and touch a widget, it works as expected.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've just tried with my daughter's phone, which has TouchId. If I just touch the home button without pressing it, so the phone unlocks but stays in the lock screen, then swipe right and touch a widget, it works as expected.
It works when the device is locked as well, just first asks you to unlock before the associated app is launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.