Access Blocked sites on MAC (OS X 10.5+)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wwatfa, Oct 2, 2010.

1. wwatfa macrumors newbie

Ok, I searched the forum first but could not find the answer i was looking for ! so here goes,

I currently live in Qatar, where 99% of any interesting site is blocked by the service provider !

i am no MAC expert, so i used Hotspot shield which was working fine, but since some time now, it does not work anymore ! the page simply does not load up !

i searched for a free alternative but without success !

anyone can suggest an alternative software which i can downlaod (switch ON) and surf freely ?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

TOR, Circumventor.

Also, are there ANY movements to change this? I mean, how long really will Qtel continue to block content it thinks is not "moral"?

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

only true way around it is use a proxy. Chances are most of the public proxy will be blocked.

4. wwatfa thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly !

hot spot shield works greatly on Windows ! but it is not working on MAC !

i really dont know what to do ! hope that someone has an alternative for MAC

5. wwatfa thread starter macrumors newbie

by the way

i tried TOR yesterday ! it did not work ! the site still gave be blocked after i downloaded and installed it !

does TOR work for anyone ?

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Is Tor working on any sites or are you trying to access one particular site (Tor maybe be blocking flash and making YouTube for instance not work) is it the latest version from torproject.org and are you following the instructions,Tor is your best bet but you may need to invest some time and effort to get it working correctly.(it appears your using 10.5 which should be fine but note there is a problem with the browser launching with 10.6 the work around is on the torproject site).

7. wwatfa thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the sites which i can access normal are accessible ! but the ones i am trying to access are still blocked ! any site ! not only one !

i get the (blocked page) of my internet provider when i try to access these sites even if TOR is running !

any help ??

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

This has nothing to do with what computer or browser plug ins you use this is being blocked at relay points on the internet your country uses to acess
    Take a duffel bag full of hand grenades and find out where the physical relay points where the content is being blocked in your country are by your countries government and have a ball:D

9. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

For websites that you just need to read, there's a silly solution that requires no additional software: Google Translate.
    Just paste the link of the website and choose to translate from any non-English language (pick something that has nothing to do with English: Russian or Thai or something like that) into English.

10. wwatfa thread starter macrumors newbie

well they are sites not only to be read, there are full sites ! such as Youtube or facebook !

so there is NO alternative to Hotspot Shield ?? wow ! thats BADDD news ! :confused::(:eek: