Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
I need a application that can open and edit Access DB files. My boss is thinking of getting me a mac since I am the only mac guy in the office, bu tI need to be able to do everything I need to do for my job on it, and show her that it can. I have already figured the Novell Admin stuff (console 1, nwadmin, GroupWise, Zen Mgmt, ect....) but I am stuck on the access stuff. I need to be able to open a file, edit it, but keep it so Windows users can open it as well. Is there any application that can do this. I am on a strict time frame, as we need to place the order before the end of the fiscal year, July 1st.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
joetronic said:
I need a application that can open and edit Access DB files. My boss is thinking of getting me a mac since I am the only mac guy in the office, bu tI need to be able to do everything I need to do for my job on it, and show her that it can. I have already figured the Novell Admin stuff (console 1, nwadmin, GroupWise, Zen Mgmt, ect....) but I am stuck on the access stuff. I need to be able to open a file, edit it, but keep it so Windows users can open it as well. Is there any application that can do this. I am on a strict time frame, as we need to place the order before the end of the fiscal year, July 1st.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Only Access can access Access DB files.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
MisterMe said:

Yep.

So you need either access to a PC with Access installed or you could give VPC a shot. I have no idea if VPC and Access play nicely.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
MisterMe said:

so there's no Unix app that can. even if I have to run it from X windows that would be fine. I kinda recall a app in in my UNIX days, but cannot remember what it was called. I have done a Google and a search here but cannot find anything. I really want to be able to do this without VPC, as she will just say why not just use windows. She is totally Microsoft Power to the max.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
DavidLeblond said:
Well you can edit the data WITHIN Access DB files with an ODBC driver... never tried it on the Mac tho.

Oh yeah, I forgot about ODBC. I will give that a try, as as long as I can edit the data, I'll be good.

While I'm trying this I'd still like more opinions.

thanks

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
You're gonna find yourself in a problem here. You'll have to go the VPC + Office route... just that simple.

Good luck finding this mystery app that does what you want, it doesn't exist to my knowledge.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
well, I just talked to my boss and told her the situation. We decided to go with a beefier mac and the VPC route. I still think this should be able to be done a different way. I find it hard to belive that there is no way to edit Access DB files on OS X. Now its driving me nuts.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
joetronic said:
well, I just talked to my boss and told her the situation. We decided to go with a beefier mac and the VPC route. I still think this should be able to be done a different way. I find it hard to belive that there is no way to edit Access DB files on OS X. Now its driving me nuts.

man, it's a microsoft technology. microsoft doesn't just open it up and say "have at it." they also don't have a versoin of access for the mac. you find it hard to believe that someone hasn't taken up the project and made an app? i'm sure someone has and found out it was more trouble than it was worth. not to mention a waste of time since there are much better applications out there anyway.

it's a reality. you aren't always going to find some free app to do what you want man. if you have such a problem with it, go hound microsoft and make it a point they need to make a mac product for access.

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Hmm...a bit of a tougher option, but still requires a Windows machine. If you or someone you know can code in ASP, you can host the ASP pages on a windows machine and work with the database through your web browser on your Mac. I built a time-clock program in ASP for my job, it recorded worker info, time punches, etc in an Access database. The ASP pages can even make queries to the database and display them on the page. I also know Safari can view ASP pages, but you can't host them in Apache, it doesn't support it.
There also might be a way to get into an Access database with PHP (Apache can host PHP pages by editing one line in a config file), but I know nothing of PHP...freakin' school teaches MS crap (VB.NET, ASP.NET), at least they taught about Java and Oracle.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
DXoverDY said:
man, it's a microsoft technology. microsoft doesn't just open it up and say "have at it." they also don't have a versoin of access for the mac. you find it hard to believe that someone hasn't taken up the project and made an app? i'm sure someone has and found out it was more trouble than it was worth. not to mention a waste of time since there are much better applications out there anyway.

it's a reality. you aren't always going to find some free app to do what you want man. if you have such a problem with it, go hound microsoft and make it a point they need to make a mac product for access.

I never expected MS to make it possable, but you would think some unix guy has made a app that lets you edit the files since there is a way to edit just about any other file format out there. Just my .02

thanks for all the replys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.