access external hdd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JoeMusic, Jul 24, 2015.

1. JoeMusic macrumors newbie

please read the customer support transcript and offer any assistance you can, besides buying another os disc:

Now chatting with , case #

• Thanks for contacting AppleCare chat support. My name is . Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Me:hello fran, i already have a case number, it is 84856957

FranGood morning Joe! I’m looking over the details now.

Me:Good morning Fran, thank you.

FranYou're welcome! I understand you were working with my senior advisor Chris. You were looking for a work around so you would not have to purchase Lion. Am i right?

Me:no. i just want to use my external hard drive purchased a snow leopard disc from apple.

Me:sorry, i meant i just purchased a disc from apple

Me:i upgraded to snow leopard fine, but when i try to use my external hard drive i encrypted with a mavericks computer, it says that i cant access it, i need 10.7 to access my hard drive with my time machine and all of my data on it

Me:i explained this, and was told that on the phone they would give me a download for lion on my account

Me:then the guy on the phone says they cant do that

Me:i shouldnt have to pay to buy another os x disc just to use such a basic feature

Me:i just want to use my external hard drive

FranI totally understand your concern Joe. I know I’d want my external hard drive to work with my Mac as well. Let’s go ahead and work on getting this issue resolved for you. I do see where you chatted with Tobian and he mentioned he would get you to a senior advisor but he didn't make any promises. The senior advisor said no.

FranHe doesn't have an option to offer the software for free.

FranHe did mention using another device to get your data and transfer it which was a really bright idea.

FranNow I can see here that you’ve spoken with Chris and Robert about the issue already, and I’m afraid that the answer is going to be the same each time. We just don't have the option to offer you the software for free.

Me:do you offer os x lion download codes, or the ability to just add it to my purchases or downloads section?

FranYou can consider some of the other suggestions which I think are really great such as upgrading to Yosemite (free) or using another device. Either should resolve your issue.

FranNo Joe. I’m afraid we don’t.

Me:if not, i want to be refunded in full for my snow leopard disc purchase, since the os does not even allow me to use one of the most basic features

Me:the app store says that this cant be upgraded to yosemite

FranHere’s a link to our refund informationApple Help - Returns and Refund - Apple(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)

FranOkay, I see. You have a 2007 MacMini and Yosemite required 2009

FranHave you ever used Lion before Joe?

Me:no. if i were to call customer service and request to purchase os x lion, i could only buy a physical copy?

FranThis link will explain how it works OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)

FranLook under Product Information>Overview

Me:i dont care, what about my question? i am not buying another os x disc just to use a basic feature. why would it not work in snow leopard and need to get another computer

FranYou’ll need to speak with the external drive’s manufacturer to find out why the requirements are that way as they set the requirements.

Me:the point is, i just purchased os x snow leopard, and cant even use a basic feature that should work as advertised

Me:i also own mavericks, and snow leopard, why should i pay for another os

FranJoe, your external drive’s manufacturer set the requirement, not us. If you would like, I’d be delighted to help you find the contact information for the manufacturer.

Me:what doees the manufacturer of the hard drive have to do with anything? nothing

FranYou asked why the drive needs 10.7. That’s something the manufacturer would know.

Me:no, its because apple os x is not letting me use it. it is a backup drive from a macbbok air

FranJoe, my senior advisor has given the final answer for the case. If I had the option to give you the software for free I honestly would. I had to pay for the software myself and my family has to pay if they want it. I have no way to provide such a thing for you. If you would like to get back in touch with the senior advisor I can help you with that.

Me:i think you can add lion to my purchases or downloads, but you think i am just after a free upgrade

Me:it is a feature that should work on a fresh install of a brand new snow leopard disc from the apple store

FranJoe, do you have the contact information for my senior advisor, Chris?

Me:no

FranOkay, then I’m going to get you back in contact with a senior advisor.

Me:i dont want to deal with him again

FranOkay, I don't have a way to give you Lion for free. What do you want to do at this point.

Fran? If we cannot come to an agreement, I’m going to get a senior advisor.

Me:eek:k, well besides all of that. Do you know why it says i need 10.7 over 10.6.8 just to access my disc?

Me:if there is some way for me to access my hdd in snow leopard, then i would just do that

FranThe manufacturers set the requirements. I’m not exactly sure why they chose Lion as the minimum for the drive, but I’m sure they have good reasoning.

FranThat would be a question for the manufacturer as well.

FranI can help you access it if the device and OS X were compatible, but since it’s not the manufacturer would have to tell you if there’s a work around.

Me:i think it might have have something to do with the fact that it was encrypted in mavericks , and does not prompt me for the password. i tried to force mount it in the terminal, but it doesnt work

FranI’m sure that has nothing to do with it.

Me:it is compatible, the last thing it was plugged into previously was a macbook air, and it worked fine the whole time, no problem. that is why i thought i could just plug it in and use it on the mac mini after the snow leopard upgrade

FranWhat version of OS X does the MacBook Air have?

FranIs it Mavericks?

Me:the air has mavericks

FranOkay, so mavericks is 10.9 which is above the 10.7 requirement

FranSo it should work with the MacBook Air

Me:but i need to use it with the mac mini, to get my apps and files

FranMaybe you should use the MacBook Air to transfer files to the Mac mini.

Me:i dont know if it will still say that i need 10.7 for a migration or time machine transfer

FranHere are was you can transfer files: OS X Mavericks: Transfer files between two Mac computers(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)(Opens in new window)

FranDoes that help you?

Me:can you tell me, if i try to use time machine on the mac mini, can i restore the time machine backup from mavericks, all of the apps? without it restoring all of mavericks, since the mac mini can only go to lion?

FranNo, that wouldnt work.

Me:i want to just restore the apps and stuff from the mavericks time machine backup. it is a full backup

FranMavericks applications will not work on Snow Leopard.

FranAre we okay to end the chat Joe?

Me:what if it is a app that works with both mavericks and snow leopard?

FranI’m not sure. You can check the app store to find options. Joe at this point we can get you to a senior advisor or end the chat. Which is best for you.

Me:well if a senior advisor cant even get me using the computer today, then i guess not

FranOkay, so are we okay to end?

Me:yea bye!

FranGood bye! Enjoy your weekend.
    Your chat session has ended. Thanks for using Apple's chat support.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

3. JoeMusic thread starter macrumors newbie

i did, in the topic title. thats why i said please read. yeah, its the internet, it requires reading.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If I understand what is going on you encrypted an external disk in Mavericks and now want to access that in Snow Leopard correct? Not going to happen. SL cannot access that encryption format.

Am I understanding you still have an Air with Mavericks on it? Attach the disk to that machine then go to Disk Utility. Select the external drive then in the File menu select Turn off Encryption... and enter the password used to encrypt. That will unencrypt the drive and you will then be able to access it in Snow Leopard.

Attached Files: