Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff5886

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Is there any app that will allow me to view files on my computer (docs, pics etc) over a cell signal as well as wifi?

Thanks

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Is there any app that will allow me to view files on my computer (docs, pics etc) over a cell signal as well as wifi?

Thanks

iTeleport does this quite easily. Uses your Gmail account for easy login/setup. I got the universal app which works on the iPhone and iPad.

I connected to my parents computer using this app on my iPhone 4, while speaking to my mother on speakerphone, and fixed her computer from 75 miles away while sitting in my car on my lunch break. All over my 3G signal. It was actually sort of magic in a way.

Jeff5886

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
iTeleport does this quite easily. Uses your Gmail account for easy login/setup. I got the universal app which works on the iPhone and iPad.

I connected to my parents computer using this app on my iPhone 4, while speaking to my mother on speakerphone, and fixed her computer from 75 miles away while sitting in my car on my lunch break. All over my 3G signal. It was actually sort of magic in a way.

I'm not looking for a program that allows me to control my computer from home. I want a program that will let me view my files on my computer, similar to Finder for the mac, but on my iphone. I want to be able to pull up my documents and etc from my mac on my iPhone. Similar to the app "filebrowser" but over a cell signal too.

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
A solution that works for me is Dropbox.

I have 7 gb though instead of just 2 gb because of people signing up using my link and other bonuses they have offered.

On my mac I have my entire documents folder syncing into my dropbox folder using symbolic link. Then I have whatever else I would like in dropbox for easy access on my iPhone/iPad.

It has been handy since I have just gone back to school for my masters. I can pull up syllabus and other files from any device, including any projects I am working on.

*edit*
granted this doesn't give me access to everything, but at least the important things. Before the symbolic link solution I used to keep a subset of my documents folder in a separate folder in dropbox but then I would have to remember to keep updating the contents.

SwisströM

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
I'm not looking for a program that allows me to control my computer from home. I want a program that will let me view my files on my computer, similar to Finder for the mac, but on my iphone. I want to be able to pull up my documents and etc from my mac on my iPhone. Similar to the app "filebrowser" but over a cell signal too.

LogMeIn does what you are looking for.

mzl.hleplvgx.320x480-75.jpg

http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/logmein/id479229407?mt=8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.