Access files with out a display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxcaven, Dec 28, 2009.

1. maxcaven macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm a neewbert here, but I figure this is the best place to ask. I hope this is the right place for this.

My buddy has a late 07 15 inch MacBook pro, the display no longer works and after a call to apple it looks like it might be a nvidia issue. They are schedualed to work on it next weekend. It turns on, boots into osx and loads fine (sounds still works, cd loads and ejects, ect.). There are some files on it that we need access to asap. Is there anything we can do short of opening it up to get to the drive, that we can do? I have an 09 13 inch MacBook pro and a couple of windows boxes at my disposal. Any ideas?

Thanks for helping this newb.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Heh.

Short Story : Buy a fw800 cable. Hold T on the machine with the broken nvidia card at start up for about ten seconds and leave it on. Plug the fw800 cable into your old mbp and your 13 inch mbp. Your old mbp will show up as an accessible drive.

Target Disk Mode :

Alternatively you can swap the drive and put it in an enclosure than replace it when finished.

3. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

As stated above, target disk mode is best, but you can also access it via single user mode if you feel comfortable with command line interface. You can boot into single user mode by folding command + S keys at boot up.

4. maxcaven thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome thanks guys, I'll run and get the proper cable in the morning. I'm assuming that it it's firewire only, not usb? only reason I ask is because I have a box full of usb cables in front of me.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes, FireWire only.