Access iTunes playlists remotely?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cosmichobo, Jan 8, 2013.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

I've just purchased a 2nd iPhone 3GS, so my wife and I can both have an iPhone. My old one I kept on iOS 5, so I can use it on my G5 PowerMac, but the new one is running iOS 6, which will not talk to the G5...

My iTunes library resides on my G5 desktop Mac... As such, whilst I've been able to set up the new iPhone with all my apps etc from my wife's MacBook Pro, I can't get my music from the G5...

Easy, you say - turn on home sharing. Yes, that will allow me to add the songs via the MBP, but it doesn't keep the playlists that are on the G5...

Is there any way I can get around this and get my playlists onto the MBP or get the iPhone running iOS 6 to talk to Leopard?

cheers

cosmic

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Somehow I don't understand, I have a 3GS and I can do homesharing on my G4 powerbook without problems, I don't see what's the problem here, it should work.

Edit: 3GS on iOS 6

3. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

I can't plug the iPhone direct into the G5, as it can't run iTunes 10.7, so I can't get the songs that way.

When I turn on Home Sharing, I can access the G5's music files on the MacBookPro. But they are all listed together, not in playlists for me to choose which lists to add to the iPhone...

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Still odd, and I know what you mean, I ,as I said before, am also on iOS 6.
    You said you had an old 3GS with iOS 5 and now you bought a new 3GS on iOS 6 and can not install iTunes 10.7, it is not needed if you have a 3GS on iOS 6.
    I don't have any problems with it, or did you make a mistake and have a iPhone 5?
    No, I just checked you initial post, you clearly say a second 3GS.

There must be something else wrong since I don't seem to have any problem, and as I said, you don't need iTunes 10.7, 10.6 will do.

5. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

My bad... I thought I was running the latest version of iTunes available on my G5, but it's only v10.5.

I've just upgraded to 10.6.3, and now it is talking happily to the iPhone under iOS 6....

:)

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

:D

Had to be something, good it's solved now.