Access Macbook Pro HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sicembears, Sep 4, 2008.

1. sicembears macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro and the power supply has gone out and fried the graphics card. Apple says I got it wet--never did but anyway. They said it is going to be around $1,300 to replace it all. Not gonna happen.

How can I access that HD without turning on any system preferences? I can still use battery power to get the computer to start up. I just need to take files off the old computer.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you access to another Mac and a firewire cable, you can start the MBP in target disk mode (hold T at boot) and it becomes a giant external HD.

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Just a thought but did a "genius" look at it and make the diagnosis? or did you send it in?

the reason i ask is because from reading around these forums, i hear that apple "geniuses" are pretty quick to throw out incorrect problems when if you just send it in they take a bit of a closer look into the problem.

either way, you can always open up the mac, remove the drive, and put it in a external drive enclosure.

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

It wasn't a "genius" but one of the floor people at a Mac store didn't even know what a GPU was. So she was relaying all this 'foreign' sounding information I told her on to a "genius" and what I said about possible "overheating" and "failure" she relayed/translated into the laptop "melting." I corrected her & she blamed me & said thats exactly what I told her.
    *sigh*

They really need more training at those stores.

5. sicembears thread starter macrumors newbie

An Apple "genius" opened it. He said he took picture but after 6 phone calls they were never able to reproduce those pictures. To say I'm pissed is an understatement.

6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Thats pretty shady if you ask me, I would give apple care a call and i wouldn't even state the incident with the apple store. just call in with your problem and tell them that you would like to send it in. its worth a shot.