Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luvmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Hi there,

Sorry in advance for my English.

I feel a bit overwhelm with all the remote access appl as I have no idea about computer networking. :p I hope you guys can help me, please....

I'm trying to figure out if there is an iPad app out there that I can use for accessing my MacBook Pro at home while closed lid. My understanding is if you close lid, MacBook won't stay on. It will go into sleep mode. Is there a way to walk it up and then remotely access the laptop?

I did some research and I see something about "wake on LAN" App and "wake on demand" from Apple, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

Still, I couldn't figure out if there is a remote access app that can wake up my MacBook...

I try Mocha VNC Lite and I got so excited about seeing my MacBook screen on iPad! But once I close the lid, it can't connect...

I read somewhere about connecting the external display but I don't want to spend money buying the monitor... :eek:

Can you please help?

teeck2000

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Try closing the lid while starting up, before the apple logo comes up. This is how you use mac notebooks as just a computer with an external display connected. Might work, try it out, I haven't though, but my best guess.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
tried a few of those a few weeks ago, but I guess none work with Lion. Anyone of them update for lion?

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
If you're at home and can leave the lid open, just use ctrl+eject (f11) and then choose sleep from the menu that comes up.

Makes sure you've left itunes active.

Use the iphone/ipad Remote app to wake the computer, as if you were going to control itunes from it.

But the mac will now be awake until its normal sleep cycle (15 mins is my norm) kicks in, and you can switch to other apps to do stuff.

inkletdrops

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
InsomniX does work with Lion

tried a few of those a few weeks ago, but I guess none work with Lion. Anyone of them update for lion?

Actually insomniX came out with an updated copy which indeed works with Lion, try it out (though its a little hard to find).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.