Access MacBook Pro remotely while close lid?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by luvmac, Jul 6, 2010.

1. luvmac macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Sorry in advance for my English.

I feel a bit overwhelm with all the remote access appl as I have no idea about computer networking. :p I hope you guys can help me, please....

I'm trying to figure out if there is an iPad app out there that I can use for accessing my MacBook Pro at home while closed lid. My understanding is if you close lid, MacBook won't stay on. It will go into sleep mode. Is there a way to walk it up and then remotely access the laptop?

I did some research and I see something about "wake on LAN" App and "wake on demand" from Apple, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

Still, I couldn't figure out if there is a remote access app that can wake up my MacBook...

I try Mocha VNC Lite and I got so excited about seeing my MacBook screen on iPad! But once I close the lid, it can't connect...

I read somewhere about connecting the external display but I don't want to spend money buying the monitor... :eek:

Can you please help?

2. teeck2000 macrumors regular

Try closing the lid while starting up, before the apple logo comes up. This is how you use mac notebooks as just a computer with an external display connected. Might work, try it out, I haven't though, but my best guess.

3. multinode macrumors regular

I use InsomniaX to keep my MacBook Pro on while the lid is closed.

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I love insomniaX! Works perfect for keeping the computer running with the lid closed.

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Use SleepLess on the MacBook

Then I use LogMeIn or TeamViewer on the iPad.

6. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

tried a few of those a few weeks ago, but I guess none work with Lion. Anyone of them update for lion?

7. JonLa macrumors 6502

If you're at home and can leave the lid open, just use ctrl+eject (f11) and then choose sleep from the menu that comes up.

Makes sure you've left itunes active.

Use the iphone/ipad Remote app to wake the computer, as if you were going to control itunes from it.

But the mac will now be awake until its normal sleep cycle (15 mins is my norm) kicks in, and you can switch to other apps to do stuff.

8. inkletdrops macrumors newbie

InsomniX does work with Lion

Actually insomniX came out with an updated copy which indeed works with Lion, try it out (though its a little hard to find).