Access MBP from work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kneedeep, Feb 10, 2010.

1. kneedeep macrumors newbie

kneedeep

First I would like to say this forum has been great for me as a lurker. I just recently purchased a MBP and have really been impressed. I've searched this forum for lots of "silly" functions and settings and have now got a decent understanding of not only the OS, but Apple as a whole.

My question revolves around accessing my MBP from a remote location. I can't use programs like logmein.com because they are blocked. A friend of mine accesses his home PC through no-ip(i believe). Is there a way to do this with my MBP as well? I read a thread http://http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429956 and tried to set up DynDNS as the thread stated and it doesn't work remotely. I believe I have my router and MBP set up correctly, but am wondering if it's my modem (Zyxel Embarq 660) and a Linksys WRT54G router. Do I need to configure port forwarding in the 660? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kneedeep thread starter macrumors newbie

kneedeep

Thanks for the quick response, but that is blocked at work as well. Thanks though.

3. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It helps if you read the thread:

5. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Man...the thought of accessing my machine from another computer other than my other one seems risky for me. Is this safe?

6. belvdr macrumors 603

It depends on how you do it. Personally, I'd use SSH v2 to create a tunnel first.

7. kneedeep thread starter macrumors newbie

kneedeep

No expert, but if you configure everything correctly then I say yes. I'm farely new to this (macs, and getting into the networking "weeds"), but have read enough to see you can make it as secure or unsecure as you like. If done correctly you'll be no more vulnerable than you are now.

Interesting site I found about port forwarding the modem for anyone who has one http://www.centurylink.net/files/embarq/support/Routers/660_portFowarding.php. I knew it was also a router and when my wife worked from home I think I did some changes for her VOIP phone system to be able to work with her company network. I may have created the problem myself.

8. belvdr macrumors 603

Consider if the application sends credentials in the clear, then anyone who is able to see that traffic can potentially log into your system. So, configuration on one end is only part of the battle.

9. kneedeep thread starter macrumors newbie

kneedeep

I agree, the more I've read recently the more vulnerable a lot of people are out there who set up bare bones home networks. Your point is definately a good one.