Access my iMac remotely, and use iSight as surveillance cam

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
(it's 1 am, and I'm really sleepy, but can I do this?)

I will be traveling overseas soon, I have a PowerBook and an Intel iMac, I want to be able to access some files from my PowerBook while I'm away, and at the same time, can I use the iSight in my iMac as a surveillance camera?

Unacceptable answer:
"use the search function, has been covered several times!"

Acceptable answer:
"go to bed, you obviously need some rest"

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
poolin1243 said:
apple remote desktop will do it. can control really any aspect of your mac away from home.

you have to set up a dynamic dns name and do some port forwarding, otherwise...its pretty easy.
and with Apple Remote Desktop I can access my iMac from anywhere in the world?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Jericho2550 said:
and with Apple Remote Desktop I can access my iMac from anywhere in the world?
yeah, in particular you need the ports forwarded, a relatively static IP address, and setup both machines for VNC. No need to shell out for ARD from Apple.

cruzr74

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Colorado
Help! they stole my MBP

yeah, in particular you need the ports forwarded, a relatively static IP address, and setup both machines for VNC. No need to shell out for ARD from Apple.
I am a newbie to the Mac. I got mine while attending Full sail University Online. I had it two months and It was stolen night before last. I need to know how to use the isight feature to find out where its at. I will need line by line directions if possible. I am just starting my Web design degree and I have yet to learn all the tech terms. So please bear with me. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. :(

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I am a newbie to the Mac. I got mine while attending Full sail University Online. I had it two months and It was stolen night before last. I need to know how to use the isight feature to find out where its at. I will need line by line directions if possible. I am just starting my Web design degree and I have yet to learn all the tech terms. So please bear with me. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. :(
Kudos for reviving a 4 year old thread.