Access my shared files remotely

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bnmueller, Feb 8, 2009.

1. bnmueller macrumors newbie

Just setting up all my sweet new mac product. I am wanting to access my files that are shared on my pc remotely on my MacBook. Im just not sure what application to use to do so. Basically just want access to all my music and video. Thanks.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Check the guides section there is at least one section that can walk you through this. Or just click here

3. nplima macrumors 6502a

That looks a bit complicated. You can use Windows Live! Sync (formerly foldershare) instead on both your mac and windows pc.

https://sync.live.com/

4. bnmueller thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the Windows Live deal, not impressed. Im really looking for something that will be as close to how file sharing works when Im at home on my network.

5. nplima macrumors 6502a

ok, then you'll need to set up a VPN server on the PC and when you're on the road have your Mac log in there. I think it's included with XP Pro, unsure about XP Home.

6. bnmueller thread starter macrumors newbie

If my network is setup with dhcp how will identify the ip address when I'm on the go?

7. nplima macrumors 6502a

hi

I've only tried with Linksys and 3Com home routers and they both had options in the DHCP configuration to give a specific IP address to a specific machine (MAC).
    Then you will probably need a dynamic DNS service to keep your machine visible even without a fixed public IP address. Have a look at this site here for instructions on remote access: http://www.dyndns.com/

8. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

never mind I see he wants to do it remotely...