Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Just got my new Macbook Pro today, and I wanted to use my HD (yeah, I know about the format and stuff, I have had both Windows and PC)

In the past I've used programs that can read a Mac formatted hard drive, does anyone know any programs that can read windows formatted hard drives?
I really don't want to have to format the drive as I need the data on there.

Many

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Just got my new Macbook Pro today, and I wanted to use my HD (yeah, I know about the format and stuff, I have had both Windows and PC)

In the past I've used programs that can read a Mac formatted hard drive, does anyone know any programs that can read windows formatted hard drives?
I really don't want to have to format the drive as I need the data on there.

Many

I use paragon ntfs http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hmm, Im having a lot of problems...

I decided to set up Parallels to check out the problem, it shows up as a USB disk drive but only in Devices and Printers and in Device Manager under Disk Drives.... It doesn't show up in My Computer a hard drive?

It is corrupt? Can I do anything to fix this without reformatting it?

Probably the wrong forum to be asking this, but any help would be great.

Thanks

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
I don't use Parallels I think running windows should be done through boot camp and boot camp only. Do you have a windows pc around that you can plug it into I don't see why you cant use paragon ntfs it gives you native support so you plug in the drive it shows up on the desktop and you can read and write to it. While your not in Parallels it should still appear on you mac because mac supports read only of ntfs drive, You should also have a look in disk utilities to see what the drive is formatted as, it smart status etc.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
If it's a working Windows drive it should show up properly when you're in Windows. If you're running Windows (bootcamp or otherwise) in parallels you should be able to copy the data from that drive to your OSX drive using Explorer (as the OSX drive will appear as a Virtual drive).

Does the drive still work on your Windows machine? What format is it?

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
If it's a working Windows drive it should show up properly when you're in Windows. If you're running Windows (bootcamp or otherwise) in parallels you should be able to copy the data from that drive to your OSX drive using Explorer (as the OSX drive will appear as a Virtual drive).

Does the drive still work on your Windows machine? What format is it?

The drive seems dead, as I said before it shows up in Devices and Printers and in Device Manager (under USB disk drives) as just a storage drive.. I can't read or write any data... is this corrupt?

Do I need to reformat? :/ (Btw this is using both Bootcamp and an actual PC)

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
If a PC can't read it you're at a certain level of broken, for sure, and there's not a lot of point in playing with it on a Mac. If you can get a PC to read it the Mac should be fine (at least for reading if not for writing). You probably need to find a local PC genius who can help you if your data is really important. Otherwise it's back to whatever you have backed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.