Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook MH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Hi is it possible to access network drives of my home network via internet from all over the world?

Situation:
Ive got a DrayTek Vigor2700 router. The DrayTek router is located in the first floor and is hooked up to the phone line. It creates Wireless network (called "default") for the first floor. On the second floor there is an AirPort Extreme Basestation. Its hooked up to the DrayTek by ethernet and creates a network (called "AirPort Extreme". To the AirPort there is a 500 gb USB drive and a USB printer connected.

SO:
1 floor: DrayTek hooked up to the phone line creating a network
2 floor: AirPort Extreme hooked up to the DrayTek via ethernet, creating a new network. Got 500gb USB drive and a USB Printer connected to the AirPort.

AIM:
I want to be able to access the USB drive and the printer over internet. I dont have a MobileMe acc, and i dont want to create one. I know it would be much easier if the AirPort would be hooked up to the phone line directly, but Its not possible...

PLEASE HELP ME

MacBook MH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Got It Working!!!

SO... What I did:
I didnt manage to assign a IP for the AirPort E. disk.
I turned on the WAN thing.
To the DMZ IP adress (at the Draytek) I gave in the ip of the AirPort (192.168.1.10)
Into my browser (Firefox Mac) I put in smb://the home ip (found it at the draytek control panel)
viola! it shows up the drive using Finder. In AirPort Extreme I set "access disk with AirPort Password. I used my dyndns.com host page.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I would be careful doing this as it might have effectively put the device on the Internet.

Is there a way to only allow certain protocols/ports?

MacBook MH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Im not sure how to do that... But the risk isnt so high, since the drive only contains pictures and some movies. And btw, why the heck would someone want to hack a 1TB drive full of pictures??? There are millions of drives on the internet, what a luck would it be that mine would be hack.

My drive also got a usage indicator. When someone connects to it, It flashes red.

And if you have an idea how to protect it better that just with the AirPort Pass. then post it please

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
People will try and hack it simply because its there and they can

My idea to further to protect it is to allow only the required protocols and/or ports.

If you aren't worried then don't bother and just be happy that it works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.