Access Points?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ks-man, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Would it make sense to use airport extreme as my wireless router and airport express as an access point? I have a large home and I'm going to need to put the airport extreme router in my utility room in the basement and I don't think that the wireless signal will carry upstairs to the top level.

So can I use the express as an extender or access point to ensure that I can get wireless N throughout the whole house?

Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, you could.

It depends how you want to do this...

If your house is already wired for ethernet, you can attach the express to the ethernet network and use the express in "bridge mode" (i.e. the express is broadcasting the network, but not sharing the internet connection, which would be done with a different router).

Or, you can simply extend the range of your wireless network (wirelessly) by enabling WDS (for more info, search for "WDS" in the help menu of Airport Utility).

3. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I will also have a wired network since most of the rooms have ethernet jacks. I'm imagining I would have the airport extreme hooked into a network switch in the utility room with all the wires going into the switch. I'd still enable the wireless features of the extreme, but it is good to know I can use the express to "broadcast the network". I'm assuming this means that a laptop upstairs would be using the express to tap into the network that is being created by the extreme in the basement.

Let me know if I have that right. Thanks again.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How would the express be connected: through ethernet (to the switch), or wirelessly (WDS)? Either way, you should probably have both broadcasting a wireless signal: one for upstairs and the other for downstairs (or something similar).

Here's what I would do (if possible): Have the internet go to your airport extreme (in router mode with wireless enabled) and connect this to your switch. Then connect the express to the switch (in bridge mode with wireless enabled). Just put both base stations in places that provide the best coverage.

5. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

When you say connect the express to the switch in bridge mode, you mean connect it to a wall jack that is in essence connected to the switch through the ethernet cord that is going through the walls, correct?

The switch will be in the basement since that is where all the ethernet cords from each room come together. That is also where I will put the extreme and the cable modem. I will want the express on the upstairs level so I have wireless on that level as well. I'll connect the express to a wall jack through ethernet so I'm assuming that can be in bridge mode.

If I got anything wrong please let me know. Thanks again for all of your help.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's correct. Just let us know if you run into any problems. :)

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Do you have two jacks next to each other upstairs? If so you can do the following:

1) Run a cat 5 patch cord from your cable modem/dsl to that patch panel in the utility room. Plug into the jack for the free jack upstairs.

2) Connect the Airport base station to that jack upstairs, and use it there to distribute wireless. Connect one of the LAN jacks to the other free ethernet jack in teh basement.

3) Plug that other free lan jack where terminated in the basement to a switch, which can distribute wired ethernet to all other rooms.

8. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think each room only has one ethernet jack.

9. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will do.

Also if I'm planning on getting an airport extreme and express, should I configure those for N only and set up my linksys router (as an access point) in G mode?

I thought I read somewhere that if I set up the airport extreme or express in mixed (N+G) mode than the N devices won't take advantage of the faster N speeds. I might have misread something though.

Thanks.

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

True, if its a mixed network of wireless devices. I use two routers/access points, setting one to n (5gig) only and the other to g. Data rates on the n capable devices are impresive, makes g devices seem so slow..

11. JU1CYFRU1T macrumors newbie

I don't want to hi-jack this thread... but I have a similar question... and I didn't feel the need to start a new thread. If I was wrong, please just say "start a new thread" and I will do so.

I am going to buy a Time Capsule (500GB), and I would like to use my current Wireless G router (D-Link) as a wireless bridge for my printer (so that I can network my printer)... will this work?

In case it matters, my current router is a DI-624 (Super G 108), and I would be connecting to an XP Media Center and my MBP. Distance is not an issue, I just want to have the ability to wirelessly print. I'm tired of having to disconnect the USB from my PC to print from my MBP.

What would I need to do to my router/TC to get this to work (if it even will).