Access Privileges, time machine, Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guitarplaya08, Dec 27, 2008.

1. guitarplaya08 macrumors newbie

Error message:

"The folder 'Downloads' could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

I get this error message both on my computer and in time machine. I sent in my comp to apple they replaced the hard drive to my surprise; i created a brand new user account without reloading any info off time machine. then once that account was created i opened the migration assistant utility and restored certain information off of time machine. i then deleted the 'new' account. now i'm on the restored account and i do not have access to particular folders on the macintosh hd. in time machine i am blocked from accessing them as well.

i googled a lot and some say its a MAC address, but i'm not so sure that's the case for my particular situation.

i would really appreciate your help. a lot of important files are locked up that i need to access asap!

thanks again

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did you repair permissions?

Are you an admin?

3. guitarplaya08 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. guitarplaya08 thread starter macrumors newbie

resolved.

(under get info, after right clicking, i just had to change the permissions

5. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

I have a similar problem with El Capitan. The weird thing is that I can access al backups done under El Capitan, but I get an error message as soon as I try to open an older backup. I checked the permissions of my last backup and the last one done with Yosemite, and both are read/write for system, Read for staff and read for everyone.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

6. BLUEDOG314 macrumors member

BLUEDOG314

I would poke around a bit more and make sure it doesn't happen on other folders, or things in folders. It is quite easy to change permissions on one folder but entirely different if you have to do it to a folder with multiple nested subfolders and files. This you could do in terminal with something like below if say the issue was your documents folder and everything contained in it:

sudo chmod -R 777 ~/Documents

This will go through recursively and change for all contents of folder, or you could change the owner of the files by using chown. Creating the new user probably caused the issue in the first place.

Here you need to be a little more specific, do you mean your user not system? Would you be able to pull over one of those files from a backup in question to your desktop then run in terminal:

ls -l ~/desktop

7. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

What do you mean with "your user not system"?

Regarding the second part: I should just copy it or move it on the desktop?