access the other mac on my network

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to access the other mac on my home network, i have enabled file sharing, remote login etc. but although its on i cant seem to locate it and login it. Im on snowLeopard... how do i see it on a finder window or some other way?

davidlv

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I want to access the other mac on my home network, i have enabled file sharing, remote login etc. but although its on i cant seem to locate it and login it. Im on snowLeopard... how do i see it on a finder window or some other way?
Have you tried using the Go menu, Connect to Server (Command + K)?
Need to know the Mac's afp address, for example, afp://192.168.0.2.
You can find that using the System Preferences Network pane on the target Mac.
Once connected the other Mac's HD will be mounted on your desktop.
Of course this is not the same as remote login, but it works fine for copying files etc.

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
in case its sleeping is there a way to make it wake?

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If you set that Mac to "Wake for network access" in the Energy Saver preferences, it should wake if you try to connect to it.

jW
cant seem to find this option on 10.5.8

zoran

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Its strange because some times, i can see the other mac on my network on the "Places" section of the finder side bar window, other times i cant. At all time the other mac is open (3 users there total, 2 usually are online). Why can i see in places that other mac? Its not that i don't have its settings enabled cause sometimes i see it, other times i don't!