Access Time Capsule through other Wifi network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cavara34, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Cavara34 macrumors member

Hi there,

This is a basic question. I have looked at other threads, read the manual and so on, but I'm just not understanding the basic principle, so forgive my simplicity.

I can access the TC through the network it generates on my laptop. What I don't understand is how I can both be on internet network connection and on TC's network simultaneously? How can I access the TC remotely without going offline? I read something about Cloud but I don't want to be bothered with that unless there's no other way. Is it only possible to do both with an ethernet cable? I don't have one at the moment to try. I know the manual indicates you can use TC to establish a new network or be included in an existing one - I assume I want the latter but I don't know what that means.
    _____

One other question regarding Time Machine. I'm told I don't have permission to access my backups from a new computer which they weren't originally created from. All of the solutions I found were too technical to follow. For some reason, I was eventually prompted if I wanted to import the backups to the new computer (or something to that effect) and that if I did so, I couldn't restore them on the old computer. I did that, but folders are still locked on the new computer.

Thanks.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Where is your local network router, perhaps built into your modem?

When you are using internet, how is your computer connected (cable, wifi)?

It could be as simple as putting your TC in bridge mode and connecting a cable from it to your router.... but that depends.

When you say remote do you mean miles away or within your own house?