Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Is there a Cydia solution or other way to acess the dictionary or whatever IOS uses for auto-complete and auto-correct?

It drives me nuts that it doesn't seem to learn from things I have typed 1000's of times. One example is my MacRumors user-id - it constantly tries to change it to something else. Same for my email address & countless other non-dictionary words.

My Blackberry (5 years ago) had a editable dictionary that not only fixed this problem but allowed you to type in shorthand acronyms for frequently used phrases and phrases. I made enough entries that I could basically type in LOL-speak and it would expand everything to full sentences. I would like to be able to get this functionality from my iPhone & iPad without having to cut & paste from a 3rd part app (have seen some apps that do this but you have to paste the completed text into email, etc.).

Yes, I know I can just turn autocorrect off but I like that it prevents me from making silly typos which I am prone to. And no, I am not a Blackberry fanboi (nor an Apple fanboi).

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Is there a Cydia solution or other way to acess the dictionary or whatever IOS uses for auto-complete and auto-correct?

It drives me nuts that it doesn't seem to learn from things I have typed 1000's of times. One example is my MacRumors user-id - it constantly tries to change it to something else. Same for my email address & countless other non-dictionary words.

My Blackberry (5 years ago) had a editable dictionary that not only fixed this problem but allowed you to type in shorthand acronyms for frequently used phrases and phrases. I made enough entries that I could basically type in LOL-speak and it would expand everything to full sentences. I would like to be able to get this functionality from my iPhone & iPad without having to cut & paste from a 3rd part app (have seen some apps that do this but you have to paste the completed text into email, etc.).

Yes, I know I can just turn autocorrect off but I like that it prevents me from making silly typos which I am prone to. And no, I am not a Blackberry fanboi (nor an Apple fanboi).

manual correct does this still lets you see you mistakes just works in the reverse you have to tap the "correction" to accept insteed of the the other way around

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.