Access to books from my public library

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robin4, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Robin4 macrumors 6502

Wow, I've got into the eLibrary of my local public library. It turns out I didn't need to download the Over Drive app. I registered, gave my library card number and I was in.

It was confusing but I finally got there. They have books, mp3s, movies. I was only able to get their books, downloaded a couple and I used their own reader. The good thing is that the screen is multitouch, enlarge and reduce the screen is easy peasy.

Films may be a problem (maybe flash?). I haven't tried music either, too complicated. There is a great selection of books.

2. harborgirl macrumors newbie

So you have library books on your ipad? How did you do this?
    I tried with Overdrive but was not successful. I asked at the library today and the tech guy told me I could not get books on my ipad. Would love to hear what you did!

3. Robin4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried asking too but I never got anyone that could help me out. Someone in the library told me to look for downloadables in "movies, music and more" and I might figure it out from there.

http://www.durhamcountylibrary.org/

I found NetLibrary where I had to register using my library card number, choose a username and password and it let me into the eBook catalog. Once I clicked on the book, it led me to their reader and voila I started reading my first book. They have over 40,000 ebooks, most of them recently published.

Their general instructions asked that I download Overdrive, an app. that I found in iTunes. I'm not really sure I needed it but I was willing to try anything.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks guys... found out that Fairfax County has an ePub area through Overdrive. So I will have to give it a try soon...

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Our local library apparently has this too. I think I'll stop by over lunch and sign up for an account to see how it works on the iPad. I'm hoping that it actually downloads the book to your iPad somehow (i.e. that you don't have to be online to read the book). And of course hoping it actually has something that I'd want to read. ;)

6. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

Are you all getting eBooks (i.e. reading) or just audiobooks?

I thought Overdrive only supported audiobooks on the iPhone/iPad.

There used to be hack where I could check out mobi DRM'd eBooks and read them on my Kindle but I haven't found anything that works on the iPad.

7. Robin4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am only getting ebooks and they are online, not downloaded to the iPad.

It seems you can also get audiobooks and music through Overdrive. Their instructions are so convoluted that I'll try that later.