Access to Mac Mini Server Problem

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bill howell, Jun 26, 2010.

1. bill howell macrumors newbie

I am trying to use a Mac Mini Server on a network with G4's, G5's and Intel Imac's plus networked HP printers which use Appletalk on the Imacs running Leopard. I installed a Guardian Maximus 2tb Raid hard drive on the Mac Mini server.
    For some strange reason In can share the screen on the Mac Mini Server on all computers but cannot connect as a server from the G5's. The only difference in network setup on all machines is Apple talk is active on all Leopard machines. The G4's connect fine but not the G5's.
    Any ideas on what the problem might be?

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't know if this is what's behind your problem, but if your Mac mini Server is running Snow Leopard, Snow Leopard doesn't support AppleTalk.

3. bill howell thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the G4 and G5's are running Leopard while the Mini Server and iMac are running Snow leopard. The printers which run on Apple Talk run well with the drivers supplied by Apple in Snow Leopard.
    I wondered if Apple Talk being active on the Power Mac Computers affected network connections to the Mac Mini-Server. Incidentley, I can no longer access the Mini Server from the G4. None of the PowerMac computers can access the Mini Server.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Key to having anything work well with Snow Leopard Server is that the system have a static IP address and, a domain name (which can be made up if you don't own one), and have DNS and reverse-DNS correctly configured. See http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436. Configure Open Directory and add all users and groups. Then you need to share via AFS -- set up share points with appropriate permissions for users and groups. It actually goes fairly quickly after you have done it once.

I successfully share to a G5 iMac running Leopard as well as numerous Snow Leopard Systems and a Windows XP system. No problems after correct configuration of the server (which took a while to understand what was necessary).

5. bill howell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will try your suggestions. I was thinking of trying a static address.

bill