Access to OS X Server Beta for El Capitan?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by chipfiev, Aug 26, 2015.

1. chipfiev macrumors member

I recently put the El Capitan Public Beta on my old but trusty early '09 Mac mini. The beta itself is fine but one thing did come up in the install. I have Server 4.1.5 installed on this machine and, during the upgrade, I was told Server would be inactive until I upgraded to the latest version. However, after upgrade, I can't access that latest Server version in the Mac App Store.

Doing a bit of digging I see where there is a Developer Preview out there but I'm not a developer.

This isn't a big deal but if there is someway to get access to the Server beta, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

2. mag01 macrumors regular

AFAIK the OS X Server Beta is available only to members of the paid developer program, no public betas like for OS X.

Generally you should install the beta at a separate partition/disk and not use it as regular production OS. Yes, you can do it of course, but then you have to expect lots of bugs and stability issues, frequent changes here and there and limitations such as this one.

There are some "unofficial" ways (to obtain the OS X Server beta) though, but these aren't to be discussed here.