access to route drives from my mac to pc network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pracko, Aug 25, 2010.

1. pracko macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I would like to be able to connect my mac to my network at the large organisation I work at. Tey are running on XP. They do not have any mac techies at all. I would like to be able to access my documents folder on my profile space along with team drives that we can access through route R: drives on the network.

I don't want to install XP run parallels or anything like that. I would just like to access it all through OSX, can anyone help???

Thanks for you patience.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I think it's going to depend heavily on how your works network is setup. If you login to your account via windows on a domain server, then you will have a harder time, but it's not impossible. Google for "accessing windows domain server via mac"...there should be some guides and tutorials out there.

If it's a normal network where you just have certain drives and computers setup as shares, then connect to the network, in Finder, click on "Go" in the top menu-bar, then "Network", then mac should be able to find an connect to any network drives that are shared. You may need the share credentials to log in to them, but once you do, and click on a folder in the drive, the folder will be mounted to your mac until you shutdown or reboot. I believe you can set it to automatically reconnect as well.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

If it's a large organization, you'll probably need to set up Virtual Private Networking to access the company servers; System Preferences -> Network -> New Service -> VPN.

I tried to set it up with the company I work for, but our IT guy didn't know anything about VPN to be able to give me the information I needed to set up a connection.

Instead he gave me LogMeIn's Hamachi software to access through Windows, but that was a piece of crap and the bane of my wireless internet access working correctly. I ended up uninstalling it to fix that problem and just relied on using a remote desktop connection to my work pc, leaving that pc on if I anticipated needing server access, remotely from my Mac.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I didn't get that the OP wanted to access it from home...sorry about that.

5. pracko thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your help so far! i appreciate it