Access to Shared Folder denied permission

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Plado, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Plado macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to make a Shared folder on the Macbook accessible to my Windows 7 computer on the home network? I can access the Windows 7 shared folders from the Macbook and send and fetch files in both directions from the Macbook, but when I try to open the Macbook shared Drop Box folder that I have allowed access to, the windows 7 computer says "You don't have permission to access this folder, contact the administrator or owner of the folder to ask for permission.

Well that totally foxed me as I am the owner of the macbook Drop Box named folder and I have set it to being shared and available. I didn't even get a box with a password access offered me. So I am desperate to know what went wrong or what I haven't set. It cant be my home network firewall as that is all open and ready.

I'd be over the moon if someone knows the solution to this problem.
    Thanks in hope
    --
    Plado Macbook 13 running OSX 10.5.8 sorry its so obsolete !

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The default OS X sharing protocol is AFS (Apple File Sharing), and I don't believe a Windows machine will work with that. You need to enable SMB sharing for Windows to see the share. On Mountain Lion, you can enable SMB in the "Options..." button in the Sharing pref pane. Not sure where it is in 10.5.

3. Plado thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that. I can verify that SMB sharing was ticked in the Options for Sharing but actually I have made a bit of a mistake here. I have discovered that the Drop Box parent folder "Public" is accessible and it was only the Drop Box folder that locked me out. So that's ok really as the problem was me! I was thinking that the title Drop Box was the folder I was supposed to place files within when doing a transfer of files from outside the Macbook into it's shared system. When it wouldn't let me in, I assumed that I was denied access to it's parent folder PUBLIC. So it seems the problem is now solved. Thank you for your responding and help.

I will see if I can mark this thread as solved.
    Regards
    --
    Plado