access to the genius bar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spitfyre, Dec 14, 2008.

1. spitfyre macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and I'm a little confused about customer service. If I don't have Apple Care on my machine, and I bought my machine at an Apple store, can i still make an appointment at the genius bar if i have a problem or question? Thanks!

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Yeah sure. Anyone can make an appointment and get some questions answered. However if they need to do hardware service or something like that on you computer, you'd have to pay for it. Hope that helps.

Also, when did you purchase your machine? You can still purchase applecare for it within the first year of ownership.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yes they will help you

4. ssh macrumors member

If you're within the first year, I'd suggest getting AppleCare. It will likely more than pay for itself.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

If you don't have applecare and you make an appointment, the bar tender won't serve you the hard stuff...

Yes, they'll help you, after all, they are geniui...

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yep.
    You can get an appointment for anything.
    It doesn't even have to be within the six months warranty.
    Now what they do in accordance to the problem is another thing; there are certain factors that come into play such as the device, Genius (how nice is is and what kind of a person he/she is), how old your device is, the problem, etc.

7. spitfyre thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the prompt replies!

i just got my machine, so i still have applecare for now. i've been thinking about getting it, but honestly it seems outrageous to pay so much for those services after paying all this for my machine. but as long as i know that i can go complain to a real live person, i guess i can't be too irritated.

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

What kind of a person HE is? Last genius I saw was a "she" and she didn't look like my mother's tech support.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The extended AppleCare doesn't do anything other than extend your 6 month warranty to two years and adds over the phone support.

Sorry, lol.
    Didn't think about that.
    Well anyways... fixed it.

10. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You don't have to pay for it, at least not straight away. You have a year's free AppleCare support. If you want another two years after that, you have to buy AppleCare - however, you do have to buy it at any point within the first year.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just so it doesn't confuse anyone the standard warranty is 1 year from date of purchase (not six months)- and adding Applecare extends the coverage to 3 years from date of purchase, not two- at least in the U.S.

The free phone support portion of the warranty is is only available for the first 90 days of the standard 1 year warranty. However buying Applecare within the first 90 days immediately extends free phone support clear through the rest of the Applecare contract (again, 3 years from date of purchase).