Access USB HD using Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by b00tz/wires, Sep 27, 2008.

1. b00tz/wires macrumors newbie

I plugged in my Maxtor OneTouch Mini HD into the USB port on my Time Capsule. I should be able to access (or at least Read Only) the external Disk Drive from both XP and OSX. I see the Maxtor HD under the Disk tab in the Airport Utility program, but cannot view the Disk in the Finder on my iMac or as a Drive in XP.

Can someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to setup an external USB hard drive on my Time Capsule that is accessible from both OSX and XP?

Thanks

2. bushy13007 macrumors newbie

Is there a easy guide out there somewhere on this?

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I believe the disk must be formatted "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". (Possibly FAT also works, can't remember.) What format is the drive?

I've had good success doing what you want, so I know it can be done, though I don't remember exactly what I did...

EDIT: oops, just realized this was an ancient thread resurrected... hope it helps some anyway.

4. bushy13007 macrumors newbie

the drive is in windows NTSF format, so I'm guessing the timecapsule can't read it properly.

5. Brian33, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

Brian33 macrumors 6502a

That's right. If there are any files on the external drive that you need to keep, you must copy them somewhere else. Then, connect the drive to a Mac and use Disk Utility to Erase and Format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Then follow these directions I copied from here (applies to both AEBS and Time Capsule): http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/setup.html

Note that even though the external drive is formatted in a way Windows cannot normally read, Windows computers that connect to the drive via your network will be able to read/write the drive! This is because Windows sends network file requests (SMB protocol) to the AEBS or TC, which does the actual accessing of the drive.

Regards,
    Brian33.