Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiskaBiscuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I can’t stand how Siri mispronounces my wife’s name, and it seems I have to teach her all over again across multiple devices. Since I found the pronunciations setting (in thread title). These entries go across all devices too. I’m hoping there is a way to get Siri to use that. There is a button to “apply to all apps” but it does’t work for Siri. Or at least I can’t get it to work. Does anyone know if this is possible?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can’t stand how Siri mispronounces my wife’s name, and it seems I have to teach her all over again across multiple devices. Since I found the pronunciations setting (in thread title). These entries go across all devices too. I’m hoping there is a way to get Siri to use that. There is a button to “apply to all apps” but it does’t work for Siri. Or at least I can’t get it to work. Does anyone know if this is possible?
I recall there bering an option to add a pronunciation to a contact, which should hopefully sync across devices (if they share contacts).

Strilo

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Portland OR
There are several ways to do this for names. One, you simply tell Siri “that’s not how you say _____.” Two, you can add a field to their contact record for Pronunciation and spell it phonetically. However, although this used to work perfectly, it has been broken since iOS 12. Siri ignores the pronunciation guidance and says it wrong anyway. I’m hoping they will fix this with iOS 12.2 but we will see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.